Ideal Steel Bragging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3600sf heated from the basement, with 2x4 walls, and running at 400+. Something just doesn't seem right.

I've got 1,000 sqft less and struggle to heat with 2 stoves! But besides the poor insulation and air leaks, I just have a hard time moving heat around from the great room with 18' ceiling through a doorway to the other side anyhow, so 2 stoves help heat more evenly.

So far I am quite impressed with the IS! As far as stovetop temps, kind of depends where you measure... my last burn I recorded I was over 400 stt for ~13 hours on the hottest part of the stovetop, and I'm still pretty new to learning how to control it. That being said I got enough heat out of it for about double that length, just a bit under 400, but apparently good enough to keep the house nice and toasty.

Last edited:
I remain impressed with how little wood I am using and how warm it is keeping our house.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
I just started a long burn test with Ecobricks. Perhaps I'll make a dedicated thread. I hope to maybe get around 48 hours if the trend goes like previous tests suggest. I'm recording 3 different temperature points on the stove and taking some pics along the way. The burn time with compressed bricks is amazing, but admittedly quite longer than cordwood. If I could have cut my cordwood into bigger pieces, and maybe better shape to pack in tighter, but still happy with the 16-24 hours I am getting on my ash cordwood too.

Reactions: Twigster
Status
Not open for further replies.