ideal Steel noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2014
MD
So had this noise now a couple different times on reloads. Its a very fast vibration sound percussion sound. I believe its from the secondary air rushing through the holes in the fireback plate. Something like rolling the rear windows down on the back of your sadan at interstate speeds.

Sounds like something may be fluttering in the stove.

Contact woodstock they have a fix if it bothers you

Can you feel vibration through the bypass lever? If it goes away as soon as the air is turned down it may not be a big deal. The air should only be wide open for starting the stove.

It's normal for the IS, but if the noise annoys you they'll send you something to stop it. There's nothing wrong with the stove, I just forget what the cause is

IIRC it's the bi metallic piece on the back that supplies the cat air??

Cool about it being normal and a fix is available about it. Goes away when air is backed down. I'd feel better if it didn't do it, maybe I'll reach back out to them towards the end of the season and apply the fix in the off season.
Weatherguy is your fireback plate warping by chance? I called woodstock on that and they stated it's normal for some warping. They experience it on the fairview they said also.

The new IS Turbo version . . .

Cool about it being normal and a fix is available about it. Goes away when air is backed down. I'd feel better if it didn't do it, maybe I'll reach back out to them towards the end of the season and apply the fix in the off season.
Weatherguy is your fireback plate warping by chance? I called woodstock on that and they stated it's normal for some warping. They experience it on the fairview they said also.
I have the PH but I believe that's fairly common too on the IS.

yeah mine has made that vibrating sound as well. stops once cat is engaged or air intake is lowered

Mine has never made that noise before. The sound of the cat supply strip warming up was more of a clanging alarm clock sound. When us early production customers got our first stoves we flagged that right away. Woodstock sent us a strip with a piece of felt on it. That was as early as November of 2014. I can't imagine they would still have the old style in production.

Here is a picture of the early style bimetallic strip.

Attachments

• 20151221_192141-1-1.jpg
    20151221_192141-1-1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.