Ideal steel setting up a cat burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania

I made a video of the Ideal steel and me engaging the cat and adjusting the air control into a long catalytic burn. Some have questioned the ability of this stove to run like a true cat stove. So I wanted to show you how it acts. Enjoy.

Reactions: Twigster
Can you see the cat if you look up through the glass on that stove?

I really like how the cat bypass lever goes over the front door when it's engaged.. foolproof.

Reactions: Mitchhorne8
Can you see the cat if you look up through the glass on that stove?

I really like how the cat bypass lever goes over the front door when it's engaged.. foolproof.

You can't see the cat. However, if it is hot enough the plate underneath it glows. You can crack the lid open and see the cat glow if you need to.

Not knowing to much about these stoves, but I would suspect the stove would be hot enough to engage the cat if you have secondary reburn, once the cat is engaged the sec reburn should continue until the fuel supply vs air supply is reduced or burned down. Looks good, I really like those stoves.

Not knowing to much about these stoves, but I would suspect the stove would be hot enough to engage the cat if you have secondary reburn, once the cat is engaged the sec reburn should continue until the fuel supply vs air supply is reduced or burned down. Looks good, I really like those stoves.

I like to burn it hot before shutting it down in the shoulder season. That way I know my draft is going to do its job. It looks pretty hyperactive because I loaded hot and the secondaries went wild.

Looks great. Why wouldn't it run like a normal cat stove.....when it has a cat?

It's not a cat stove, it's a hybrid which is a mix of a non-cat and a cat stove with all kinds of air feeds to keep it burning clean and hot across a reasonably wide range of burn rates. If done right, this could mean a wider range of outputs than either a cat or noncat but the results thus far have not accomplished that. Woodstock deserves credit for making this particular hybrid model very close to being the best of both worlds. A pretty dang long burn time (low burn rate) and also the ability to really burn hot and clean. Honestly, it would be my first choice from another brand. Like the BK I have, it's a bit weird looking.

Reactions: ruger243
Its a mix of cat and secondary burn. However, with the bypass closed everything goes through the cat whether the secondaries are lit or not. So essentially it is a catalytic stove with a secondary manifold. It utilizes two technologies making it a hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.