IdealSteel Hybrid Woodstock up close today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodstock claims the value of radiant heat vs convection. My fear is that their stoves are space heaters rather than whole house heaters. Can anybody comment on that? Do they do a good job of bringing further bedrooms etc up to temperature?

Plenty of WS owners heating their whole houses just fine. I think it really depends on the layout, a Radiant stove in my house would cook me out of my family room. A big open floor plan the radiant stove may be the way to go.

I'm heating about 1800 sq ft rancher. I'm just wondering how well it would heat bed rooms etc.. My Quad does the job but it is also a convection stove.

I'm heating about 1800 sq ft rancher. I'm just wondering how well it would heat bed rooms etc.. My Quad does the job but it is also a convection stove.
I've heated my 2200 square foot ranch with both convective and radiant stoves. Both stoves had the same end effect, a warm house. It is dependent on your floor plan and your ability to move air. Using a few small fans to distribute air is key.
Like Rdust mentioned, the convective stove is less likely to run you out of the room the stove is in.

I don't get this radiant /convection deal.

All wood stoves are radiant space heaters imo. Some may have a convection top that would help setup a loop..I could get one at added cost. But don't feel I need it...I don't feel it's worth it actually.
But I'm also a guy who doesn't get the "soft heat" deal of a soapstone either...so just skip over this post! lol

Our stovetop sits just above 33", the ash pan is a little less than 3" off the hearth, and the damper control rod is less than 5" off the hearth. Sounds like too tight a fit no matter how you slice it.
So your stove is set at the 33 1/2" height and the ash pan is 3" off the hearth? Is that right, seems like you couldn't use an ash pan if your set at the lowest setting.

Woodstock claims the value of radiant heat vs convection. My fear is that their stoves are space heaters rather than whole house heaters. Can anybody comment on that? Do they do a good job of bringing further bedrooms etc up to temperature?

We too had some of that fear. With our old stove we had a problem heating the whole house and even closed off some rooms. In the bathroom (close to the far end of the house) we used to run a small ceramic heater before shower time because it was just too cold in there.

Since we got our Fireview, we have had no problem heating the entire house and have never closed off any rooms since. We also have added a room. We keep our house very warm; too warm for most folks. It has been a while since we've checked the furthest room (bedroom) or the bath with is right by the bedroom but we certainly do not ever need extra heat before showering. If the bedroom get too warm, we simply close or partially close the door and that is it. The coldest we had this winter was -16 and we never got cold in the house. One morning we did wake up to the stove room being down to 77 degrees though and it took a couple hours to get it over 80.

No, we don't think there is any problem with radiant heat and we love it with no fans running, except for the one ceiling fan in the stove room which we run on low speed.

Radiant heat from a wood stove is a very nice heat. The advantage to these new stoves is that they provide steady even heat with longer burn times.
With older stoves we would damper down to keep fire going until we wake up or return from work. This extended burn time generally just preserves the fire or coals and doesn't provide a steady productive heat source.
I grew up with a non airtight pot belly stove. it kept us warm, but a 2hour reload schedule was in place to maintain productive heat.
I can heat 2400 s.f. from my basement with my fisher grandpa if I run him steady. if I damp him down it keeps the basement steady but up stairs can get chilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.