Ideas for pressurized water storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
danmitchell9,

Do you mean has anyone made there own storage tank for a pressurized system? I and alot of folks use used propane tanks because they are cheap, it cost me $200.00 to get a used 500 gal. and it was cleaned and delivered, kind of hard to beat that. As for web sources you are in the best place on the web to get info. I am sure there is someone out there that has the skill to fabricate a tank. Need to be a good welder and have access to good steel.

Good luck

I have looked at having them custom made by a local shop or doing it myself. You can buy the components such as dished heads and anything premade. It just doesn't seem to be cost effective when you can buy a used tank for scrap value. There's an element of risk to making your own.

Mike

I think lots of people start the storage quest with the idea of building their own pressurized tank. I know I did. Ultimately, after a fair amount of reading and maybe a little bit of math it just never seems to make sense. Building your own non-pressurized tank, on the other hand, is quite doable and lots of folks run them...

I too was going to have a tank built. Welder, pressure licensed????, would build square tank????, 1000 gal. $2000.00m dollars. Mild steel, 30 PSI relief.

Bought 1100 gallon high pressure, stamped,rated, SAFE, tank for $500.

Keep looking, you can get cheaper, better, easier, I think.

Good Luck

Robby

What i was told about un and pressurized storage is that if you plan on using the tank for domestic water in the summer, un-pressurized is the way to go. Tarm reps', heating contractors, tank manufactures, etc. steered me the way I went.

"What i was told about un and pressurized storage is that if you plan on using the tank for domestic water in the summer, un-pressurized is the way to go".

Why is that?

If you guys to seaches for this topic you will find LOADS of information on this site. There are pro's and con's to both types of storage. Everyone will have different opinions on which is "better"....

Status
Not open for further replies.