Identify some wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I picked up some free wood off of Craiglist, that nobody else could pick due to the size. They all took the small piece, I took the meat and potatoes. LOL. Oh yea this is from NE KS area.

This a very dense piece of wood.
a0c81776.jpg

b72b934f.jpg

THis is a very thick bark and not nearly as good looking wood, but looks burnable non the less.
79de70b4.jpg

Looks like maple to me, Norway or sugar I would say.

You said it was dense so my vote goes to Norway Maple, bark looks right.

Sugar Maple my guess.Good score,you'll be even more pleased after its split & dried a year.

I think it is a Norway Maple. Sugar Maple bark is more flaky, Norway more ridged like the bark on this piece. The big pieces of Norway Maple I have picked up off the curb had dark centers like the piece in the picture.

"good looking wood, but looks burnable none the less" +1 The gnarls in it says if you don't have that much experience splitting wood you will gain some. As a result I would say that is a piece from the learning tree species. :)

:coolsmirk: Pine.

And whoever bucked it can't cut straight

Wood Duck said:
I think it is a Norway Maple. Sugar Maple bark is more flaky, Norway more ridged like the bark on this piece. The big pieces of Norway Maple I have picked up off the curb had dark centers like the piece in the picture.

I agree with everything he said.

Well, sweet, so the labor was worth the free wood. I looked up several species of wood and didnot find what I needed. thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.