identify this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielle1087

Feb 22, 2015
annapolis
1424655049434.jpg

Anyone able to identify this stove? Got it given to us and don't know much about it and best things to do and dont. Seems a good bit of smoke comes out when doors open even with damper all the way open. Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know the stove but do you have a full liner in the chimney all the way to the top? How tall is it?

Plus, the wood on the left is way too close. For an unlisted stove minimum clearance is 36".

Looks like there might be a brand name on the left door at the bottom.

Calling BrotherBart to the classic shop desk. Old Sierra here.

It is a Sierra 8000 I believe. There is a tag attached to the back of the stove with info on it. The manuals back then pretty much said light a fire and burn it. That is probably a "slammer" installation like mine was with no stainless steel chimney liner so draft is awful and smoke spillage is just a fact of life. Was for me for 21 years with Old Brownie.

Made around 1985 or 1986. I believe that was the only years that they used those doors which are the same ones as I have on my Sierra T-4500 Royale Insert. That I retired in 2006.

brownie.JPG

my husband added more piping up the chimney which helped and we just have to open flu and weight a min or so and then open door slowly, that seem to help

Thank you! For replying

Last edited by a moderator:
A little operating note for that stove. I mentioned the doors because they were part of what Sierra called Turbo Burn. They came from the factory with gasketing only on the sides and bottom of the glass panels. And a baffle in the top of the firebox. It was an early attempt at "secondary burn" and air wash to keep the glass clean. If you get the stove up to 500 degrees measured in the middle of the top of the stove and slowly back the input air down in small steps you will come to a point where you start having rolling blue flames on top of the wood under the baffle. And no smoke coming out of the chimney. What happens is that air is pulled in over the top of the glass and some goes down over the glass but some travels under the baffle and mixes with unburned smoke and ignites it.

Takes some practice but it works pretty well.

my husband added more piping up the chimney which helped and we just have to open flu and weight a min or so and then open door slowly, that seem to help
Thank you! For replying
You really need to run it all the way up and it should be stainless. If you do that you will be amazed with the difference. Then if it is insulated it will be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.