Idiot's Guide to Outdoor Wood Heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_a_stewart

Jun 5, 2008
Central ME
Hi,

Due to the ridiculous prices for oil, my husband and I are considering switching over to an outdoor wood heater. I have been doing a bit of internet research and have stumbled upon this site, which has been very helpful. As I’ve been reading, I’ve learned about about the EPA’s OWHH program, and we are at least narrowing down our options to look at. Right now, we’re thinking of learning more about the Central Boiler E-Classic 2300, Greenwood’s Aspen 175, and Heatmor’s SSR 200.

However, by learning more, I mean we’ll be talking to the dealers and getting a somewhat biased perspective. Since this would be a big financial investment, I’d really love to hear from you about some of the “bare bones” pros and cons of moving in this direction and away from oil.

I understand that it will take a few years for the financial aspect to “pay for itself”, and have read on here about the nuisance of needing to keep the thing fired up all winter so the water doesn’t freeze, but I’m really trying to get a sense of other potential reasons these heaters would not be a wise decision. Because, to us right now, it seems so obvious that everyone should be using these for a variety of reasons! So I’d also love to hear from those of you who have purchased either of these models and what you think about them.

And, if anyone has time to kill, I’d love a bit of “Outdoor Wood Heater 101”. As I’ve browsed through some of these threads on this site, I feel that you are all very knowledgeable on this topic and I’m reading about things at a level above my comprehension. For example, what is the difference from the gasification models vs. non-gasification? If we are to purchase one of these models that is EPA-friendly, does that mean we don’t have to worry about them becoming banned by a community in a few years, etc? How can I estimate how many cords of wood we should expect to use in a year? What are some really basic things I should know before talking to a dealer so I sound like I know what I’m talking about?!?!

Just to give you a perspective, (and then I’ll stop rambling)we live in Maine. Winters are pretty cold, but not ridiculous. We are in pretty well insulated house that is 10 years old. Over the past two years, we’ve gone through 1,000 gallons of oil each year. This winter will be the first winter we plan to heat the top level of our house which is a master bedroom/small bathroom, so I’m guessing consumption will go up. We don’t have access to “free wood”, so plan to pay for tree-length dry wood by the truck load (which I think is about 8 cords). We have two very active dogs, chickens and a toddler, so we’re outside all the time whether we like it or not, which means taking trips outdoors to load the furnace isn’t going to turn us off.

That’s about it. Thanks so much for your help!

-Sarah

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Sarah. I think you came to the right place.

First off, the main difference between gasifiers and conventional indoor wood-fired boilers and OWBs is that the gasifier is designed to burn (and recover energy from) the smoke that conventional wood boilers emit from their stacks. So they should burn about half as much wood, and they won't smoke out the neighbors or clog up your chimney with creosote. On the other hand, they cost more up-front and require very dry wood to operate properly. Basically, if you get free wood and don't have neighbors, then an OWB might not be a bad choice. If you're buying wood and smoke is a concern, on the other hand, then you should seriously consider a gasifier.

You can put a gasifier in your basement, unattached garage or other outbuilding. The advantage to putting in indoors is that you don't lose any heat in standby or transmission losses (underground piping, shed insulation, etc.). The disadvantage is that you have to bring your fuel indoors to tend the boiler. So it's a tradeoff. There also may be insurance implications with indoor installations vs. outdoor, but probably not in Maine.

One of our members from northern Vermont heats a big, well-insulated house with 4 cords annually. Others, like me, burn considerably more.

With 1,000+ gallons of fuel oil being replaced by wood, you stand to save at least $3,000 per winter on your heating bill, at current oil prices, which will probably rise by next fall. So that's something like a 3- to 4-year payback, not counting your labor in cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling and loading all that wood. But as I said, you have the potential to burn a lot less wood if you set your gasifier up and operate it correctly. Plus, it's good exercise, and you get free domestic (tap) hot water, to boot. And that's an additional, significant annual savings. With the right setup, you can even heat your hot water all summer with a small amount of wood.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful! Can a gasifier be kept outside or does it need to be in some sort of shelter? I'm not sure right now how / where we would fit one into our basement. It seems that the gasification models are at a minimum in the $10,000 range, from what I can tell doing my research. Am I in the right ballpark assuming that as a starting point? Lastly, are any of the three models we're looking at considered "gasification"? For some reason I am getting tripped up in the lingo. Thank goodness for this website - we're meeting with a Central Boiler rep tomorrow and I don't want it to be reminiscent of too many trips I've taken to the car dealership!

These seem like such a good alternative to what we have been doing in the past and I'd love to be free from the clutches of the oil companies!

Hello, I have an indoor boiler which I run straight through the summer. I have 700 gallons of water storage so I only have to light a fire once every 3-4 days. The feeling you will get from ridding yourself of oil is phenomenal. I can not comment on OWB as I don't know too much about them. However, I know Maine is passing some ordinances on OWB so you will want to due some research on that. As far as technology goes. Wood gasification is the process in which the wood gases are burned before they exit the chimney. This creates higher efficiency because those gases are being used for energy as opposed to just exiting the chimney. When a boiler is in gasification mode you will see very little IF any smoke coming out of the chimney. If you do buy an OWB that does not gasify, be prepared for alot of smoke, possible bans, and MUCH more wood consumption.
Read this forum and you will learn every thing you nee to know about wood burning!!
Good Luck!

Thank you. I am only considering models with the EPA orange tag, and once we know we're serious about purchasing one, I will call my good ol' town office to make sure they are OK (and will stay that way). We have 3 acres of land and neighbors on only one side of us and they are easily 1,000 feet or more from our house. So while we live in a "city" I think we are technically considered outside of "city limits", which I am hoping will work in our favor as well. I can't wait for the possibility of not having that oil bill stuck in my door when I get home from work every time I turn around!

Do a search on the particular models you are looking for. I know there have been a few posts on the Central E series. One earlier today even. If the boilers are orange tag rated I assume they must have either gasification or a large amount of refractory. If I had a choice on any boiler money not being a consideration, I would want a Garn or a Switzer. You are looking at around 15Kbut they come with built in water storage, burn clean, heat the water volume unbelievably fast, and have been operating for 20+ years. Both could go in an outbuilding. I think Eric posted an Eko that was in its own shed. Not sure if they are availabe in the states yet. My only input on the Central (E series) and Sequoia (sp?) is they have not been around long so you don't know what kind of problems will pop up in the next few years. Where in Maine do you live? I am in Winslow.

I believe Econoburn (bottom banner) has the orange tag. Supposedly, they have an outdoor version in the works. It's an indoor gasifier similar to an EKO or a Tarm. Yes, you can put indoor gasifiers in outdoor enclosures. I second sparke's caution about buying what is essentially a prototype. I understand that people have to buy and use these things for them to get a reputation, but it's an important point that you should be aware of. Ask the CB dealer what happens if it doesn't do what he says it will do.

If you are replacing your oil boiler, $10,000 could be on the high side, as I assume you can re-use or hook into many existing system components. Depending on your storage decision, the price could be about right or low.

If you have space for an inside install, I would go that route. At least with the Tarm, and just being a little careful, smoke in the house would be a very minor issue. For us it makes no difference, because we also heat with a wood stove, and a little smoke smell when the door is opened is the "ambiance" of the wood burning experience. Handling wood may be a bit more of an issue, so just think it through and do what's most convenient for you.

Sparke - I'm in Augusta, near the Sidney line. What kind of furnace did you say you are using in Winslow?
We're meeting with Central Boiler in Greene tomorrow to see their options, and if we have time we will stop by and visit the Heatmor dealer. Is anyone familiar with the Heatmor SSR model?
Eric I will check out the Econoburn - I hadn't heard of it - I don't recall finding it on the list on the EPA's website.
Speaking of which, is there still the potential with this OWHH program that the gasifiers could become banned or are they environmentally friendly enough that it is highly unlikely?

I am running a Greenfire with storage. Do you live on the West River Rd? I grew up on the Augusta /Sidney line... By the way I stopped in and saw the boiers you are talking about in Greene. The firbox is huge. I hate to think how much wood they must burn...

sarah_maine said:
Sparke - I'm in Augusta, near the Sidney line. What kind of furnace did you say you are using in Winslow?
We're meeting with Central Boiler in Greene tomorrow to see their options, and if we have time we will stop by and visit the Heatmor dealer. Is anyone familiar with the Heatmor SSR model?
Eric I will check out the Econoburn - I hadn't heard of it - I don't recall finding it on the list on the EPA's website.
Speaking of which, is there still the potential with this OWHH program that the gasifiers could become banned or are they environmentally friendly enough that it is highly unlikely?

As far as I am aware, Econoburn is the only company with all the approvals including the ASME certification as a sealed and pressurized system. You can check out their website but I don't know if it has been updated to reflect all the recent additions.

It's www.alternativefuelboilers.com

I'm also new here and to woodburning. I have many of the same questions that Sarah has been asking. Yesterday, I visited with a Central Boiler dealer and I had a little bit of "sticker shock." I'm used to looking at woodburning stoves, I guess this is a whole different animal. The furnaces appeared to be very well built so I'm thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and budget about $10,000.00 for a woodburning furnace. With the cost of heating fuel now it looks like I either give the money to the propane company or I buy a woodburner.

I don't mean to hijack this thread.... so, I'll just keep reading and learning. I'm glad I found this forum!

Thanks,
KJ

If you are getting in the 10K price range I would seriously start looking at a Garn or Switzer. 5K more but proven units with built in water storage. With a payback of 3-4K a year (in my case). It makes a 10-15K investment seem more reasonable. Face it high oil prices are here to stay...

Thanks all,
I had been looking for this thread earlier this week and though it was gone, but just found it.
We're going to look into the other options you've suggested. I started another post when I thought this one was gone and our quote from the Central Boiler place was 13K, so I guess 15K for a more proven model will be pocket change at this point.

Sparke- I am on the Eight Rod Road in Augusta.

Status
Not open for further replies.