If the power goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
The stove stops working, yeah? No harm no foul? Or is there something else I need to worry about?

Thanks
Mary

You may or may not get a puff (or more) of smoke inside the house.

Depending on your stove/configuration results may widely vary...

Some have suggested simulating a power failure to see what happens ahead of time so you're prepared.

A puff like a cigarette or like a house fire without the flames? Dangerous or just annoying/disconcerting?

mfglickman said:
A puff like a cigarette or like a house fire without the flames? Dangerous or just annoying/disconcerting?

More than a cigarette and how dangerous it is depends upon how sensitive you are to smoke and if you have breathing related health problems. It stinks and there can be a lot of it.

That is why you want some natural draft in the vent system, that will pull the smoke out the vent and not dump it in the house. It isn't just power failures that can cause a smoke dump, a failing combustion blower can just quit turning.

Something else when the paint on a new stove cures it can be quite smelly and irritating this will continue until the paint is fully cured which requires a high temperature for a certain period of time.

It means smoke. How much depends. If you don't have OAK connected, be prepared for the smoke to dump out of that spot. If you have a good vertical component to your stove's exhaust, and there isn't a lot of wind, you might not get any smoke. If you open your stove's hopper, you might get smoke from that. If the power goes out, leave the stove closed. If the power comes back before the smoke has cleared out of the stove, turn the stove back on and it will blow out the remaining smoke. Make sure you have a working surge protector or you risk disaster to the stove's electronics.

Thanks - this helps. Can I do OAK with an in-fireplace install? E.g. Stove will sit on hearth and vent up chimney of non working fireplace.

Specific recs on surge suppression?

Thanks again!

Mary

isnt that why we have a vacuum or draft in the pipe just incase we have a failure it will still pull out. on a through the wall exhaust i was told that it needs to turn upwards and go up a few feet so it creates a draft

petemal said:
isnt that why we have a vacuum or draft in the pipe just incase we have a failure it will still pull out. on a through the wall exhaust i was told that it needs to turn upwards and go up a few feet so it creates a draft

That is what is called a natural draft. Not all installations have a decent natural draft. Usually a chimney install will have a sufficient natural draft (please note the use of the weasel word "usually"), you just need to make certain.

A natural draft today doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow, venting needs to be maintained in good condition at all times.

In addition devices that are periodically used inside a house can cause problems, things like other burning devices, other chimneys, powered bathroom vents, powered stove exhaust vents, and clothes dryers. Most of the above also fall silent in a power failure but may have an established air flow for a period of time.

mfglickman said:
Thanks - this helps. Can I do OAK with an in-fireplace install? E.g. Stove will sit on hearth and vent up chimney of non working fireplace.

Specific recs on surge suppression?

Thanks again!

Mary

Yes, you can OAK an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.