If the wood still has some "color"...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A.

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2013
SE PA
does that indicate it's not dry enough yet?

Looking at TreePointer's pic (am reposting, assuming that's ok),
FirewoodRow-BLhickoryLong_zps7a55400f.jpg

because it illustrates my question, about the lighter colors vs. the darker colors. I've got some that still looks light like that.

Tried stacking in single rows, but was concerned it just wasn't stable enough, so ended up, stacking tightly and in multiple rows. And I put it close to the house (about 8'), so I wouldn't have to relocate it. It was delivered in the early spring and was claimed to be about 8 months split at that point. My neighbor thought it looked like great stuff because of the light color. The previous year, when I got it, it was all gray (with bird droppings and what not). This looked so much nicer but later on attributed the color to it being not fully seasoned.

Anyway, now getting ready to use it. Even though, the stuff in the top layers doesn't look as "colorful" light, some further in the middle exposed looks still a bit tan. Would rather not try pulling out those pieces to test.

Just wondering if the light color indicates they're not going to be dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYLumberjack914
does that indicate it's not dry enough yet?

Looking at TreePointers pic (am reposting, assuming that's ok),
FirewoodRow-BLhickoryLong_zps7a55400f.jpg

because it illustrates my question, about the lighter colors vs. the darker colors. I've got some that still looks light like that.

Tried stacking in single rows, but was concerned it just wasn't stable enough, so ended up, stacking tightly and in multiple rows. And I put it close to the house (about 8'), so I wouldn't have to relocate it. It was delivered in the early spring and was claimed to be about 8 months split at that point. My neighbor thought it looked like great stuff because of the light color. The previous year, when I got it, it was all gray (with bird droppings and what not). This looked so much nicer but later on attributed the color to it being not fully seasoned.

Anyway, now getting ready to use it. Even though, the stuff in the top layers doesn't look as "colorful" light, some further in the middle exposed looks still a bit tan. Would rather not try pulling out those pieces to test.

Just wondering if the light color indicates they're not going to be dry.

Color doesn't matter. It's not an indication of moisture, just UV exposure. Kiln dried is light in color and many dry logs from the middle of a stack will be varied across the log.

Good to hear it, thanks.

Your picture looks just short of professional. Perfect stacks, perfectly manicured lawn and great camera position. Good looking wood

Reactions: Dave A.
Check out this wood pile. Click on it for full size. Then realize that all that wood was cut, split and stacked in the same year. The other side of the pile looked pretty close to the same as this.

Woodpile-1.JPG

Yes the wood on top of the stacks will usually be grey, but from the middle will still have color even though it's fully seasoned. Quite normal.

Reactions: Dave A.
Your picture looks just short of professional. Perfect stacks, perfectly manicured lawn and great camera position. Good looking wood

Yeah, my place should look that good.:) I'm sure TreePointer thanks you (I borrowed his pic).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.