If there is a Chimney fire, what should I do with the insert controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
burntime said:
I burn dry wood, clean the chimney halfway and at the end of the season. If I ever have a chimney fire I would throw a damp log in or baking soda and get the heck outa there!
Why the baking soda

It would smother the fire inside the box so not adding additional heat and not pulling any more hot ash up. I don't remember where I read it but heck if it works I would try it right after the wife and kids are out of the house. Could be way off base but in my mind it would be worth a try if I felt the risk was minimal.

Carl said:
I would say to shut down as much air intake as you can.

We have had several chimney fires over the years with no ill effects other than the roar of them going up the chimney. They make a chimney fire stick which emmits a chemical that removes the oxygen from the fire and helps put it out. Of course you have to ignite it and throw it into the stove, then close the door again. I have one but never used it. These fires happen quickly and you may not be near the stove to catch it in time. They don't last long either so you may have one and never know it. Another good reason to inspect your chimney yearly or have someone else do it. In my opinion I think most properly installed chimneys can stand a chimney fire with little damage. The biggest concern is cracking of flue liners in cement block chimneys, roof fires, or inside wall or attic fires from not following the proper clearances.

No fun to experience and scary. With the several we have had we didn't have to call the fire department or do anything other than wait a few minutes for them to burn out. Now if your chimney was completely full of creasote you may have more of a problem but if they burn out with a little creasote present they probably won't be to catostraphic.

Just relating our expereiences with chimney fires and may not reflect the opinion of the local fire department or city officials. :red:

You're right Carl the local fire dept. would not agree. It's much better to call and be sure there is no extension in the walls using the thermal imaging cameras then to give the fire a chance to smolder and break out in another portion of the house while your sleeping or away. I've read about common dryer vent fires that destroyed the house and injured the owner who tried to put it out. Common sense is not to common these days. Besides it's your tax money at work. Often with chimney fires, at least at the start, there is little noise and your next door neighbor or someone driving by may see it before you even are aware. Be safe and pay your fire insurance. :)

colebrookman said:
Carl said:
I would say to shut down as much air intake as you can.

We have had several chimney fires over the years with no ill effects other than the roar of them going up the chimney. They make a chimney fire stick which emmits a chemical that removes the oxygen from the fire and helps put it out. Of course you have to ignite it and throw it into the stove, then close the door again. I have one but never used it. These fires happen quickly and you may not be near the stove to catch it in time. They don't last long either so you may have one and never know it. Another good reason to inspect your chimney yearly or have someone else do it. In my opinion I think most properly installed chimneys can stand a chimney fire with little damage. The biggest concern is cracking of flue liners in cement block chimneys, roof fires, or inside wall or attic fires from not following the proper clearances.

No fun to experience and scary. With the several we have had we didn't have to call the fire department or do anything other than wait a few minutes for them to burn out. Now if your chimney was completely full of creasote you may have more of a problem but if they burn out with a little creasote present they probably won't be to catostraphic.

Just relating our expereiences with chimney fires and may not reflect the opinion of the local fire department or city officials. :red:

You're right Carl the local fire dept. would not agree. It's much better to call and be sure there is no extension in the walls using the thermal imaging cameras then to give the fire a chance to smolder and break out in another portion of the house while your sleeping or away. I've read about common dryer vent fires that destroyed the house and injured the owner who tried to put it out. Common sense is not to common these days. Besides it's your tax money at work. Often with chimney fires, at least at the start, there is little noise and your next door neighbor or someone driving by may see it before you even are aware. Be safe and pay your fire insurance. :)

I think there is plenty of common sense left around today. We all feel differently about things so what one may call risky another may deal with. Out in the country the fire departments are miles away and most don't have some of the most modern equipment. They are also volunteer and it takes some time to get them mobilized. When we had our chimney fires if I thought our house or us were in any danger I wouldn't have hesitated to call the fire department. They do fine work and would respond when called. Our chimney fires happened quite a few years ago when the stoves were a lot different than now. With todays stoves and dry wood there should be little danger of getting a chimney fire although anything can happen no matter how careful we are. Back when I was a young kid I would watch the chimney from the old wood stove glow red as the creosote burned slowly up the chimney. Lucky for us it worked out even though the pipe and chimney couldn't compare to todays standards. At that time all the neighbors were having such experiences and not uncommon.

My insurance is paid but I don't know if they would back out of paying since that is their policy today. If they can find a fault and clause to not pay they will use it. Sad state of affairs indeed. This doesn't only work with house insurance but any kind of insurance we have.

Dryer vent fires are a huge problem as you stated. If they aren't cleaned out they will build up with lint and catch fire. If they don't catch fire the restricted vent can serverly slow down the efficency of the dryer and burn out the motor. We always need to be checking these modern applances.

I feel bad anytime I hear of a house fire because the loss of non replacable material items and even lives are sad for those involved. We need to clean our dryer vents and check our woodstoves and chimney on a regular basic to avoid this delima as best we can. No matter how perfect a world we think we may create there is no way to eliminate every problem that happens.

I totally agree Carl. My common sense remark was not directed at you but at home owners who try to put out a fire without ever calling the fire dept. until it's to late, my drier vent example. You're right our small town volunteer depts., over 70% of all depts. are volunteer in the US, take more time to respond, esp. during daytime working ours when many members work out of town. That's why residents have to call the dept. first and evacuate the house if there is a fire. Even worst today with the advent of trusses, both floor and roof, which can let go within 5/10 minutes from contact with open flames. Our materials are also much more toxic and smoke gives off a cocktail of poisonous gases, more so when smoldering in a nice tight house. We all know that many residents are overcome by the gases and die, sometimes without ever being burned. Be safe, be aware and enjoy the wood burning experience.
Ed

We lived in Northern Virginia for 12 years before moving here to Oregon last year. Every few years back there, some hurricane or another, or the "remnants" of one would come howling up the coast and lay waste to the power distribution infrastructure. In some cases, some folks would be without power for up to a week, maybe longer. It seems that every time that happened, I'd read about someone (and sometimes some family members as well) dead...overcome by Carbon Monoxide, because they were running a gas-powered generator inside their living space. I don't know whether it's a function of the densely populated metropolitan area, and a generation (or two) of folks who've simply never learned the basics of fending for themselves, and fundamental personal safety, or just pure and simple stupidity, or what...but it's tragic what uninformed people sometimes do to themselves and their loved ones and whomever else might happen to be in the vicinity. Ask questions, learn as much as you can, make sure you understand the risks involved and the steps you can take to mitigate those risks...and take them. Be safe, no matter what you're setting out to do. Rick

It's happened this past winter, not because of power outage but people, esp. the elderly or single mom's, would run out of oil and turn on the gas stove for heating. No venting and a slow killer. Can and has wiped out whole families and of course iffff they had a CO detector the batteries were long dead. Others used a barbecue grill to augment what little heat they had.Tragic results. We pity the foreign people on the evening news who have nothing but yet many of our own have fallen through the cracks and paid the ultimate price.
Ed

We are all so lucky to have what we have. Unfortinitly there is a lot of peaple in the us and the world with noting and when it comes to saying warm people will do anything

Ha THIS IS GETTING OFF BASE

So if I have a chimney fire get out of house call fire department and hope there twenty Mile trip goes well in a snow storm or what ever.
I don't now about most people but If there was some thing I can do to put out the fire my self I would and hopefully I'd have it out before The fire man came
I've worked to hard to lose what I have. I REALLY LIKE WHAT FOSSIL SAID ___________________________If you want to stay in the game ask questions And learn as much as you can and try your best to understand all risk that we all my encounter

If you have a chimney fire, it's burning up inside your chimney somewhere...hence the name. Where, exactly? Well, how tall is your chimney? Where has the creosote (unburned hydrocarbon fuel) condensed, collected, built up, and now burst into flame? How high is your roof? How steep the pitch? How bad is the snow storm? I can't really think of anything an average (whatever that means) homeowner/woodburner can do except cut all the air supply possible to whatever sort of stove or insert is installed, call the Fire Department, and get out of the house. I'd think that in most cases, if these simple steps are taken, the fire will go out of its own accord because the fuel will be exhausted, and/or the oxygen supply diminished, unless, of course, it spreads to the surrounding structure (hence the imperative for evacuation). I think maybe we're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be...not that your house burning down isn't a big deal, but that we've almost beaten the dead horse to death again. If you, as an educated woodburner, do what you ought to do in all respects, you're not likely to ever encounter a chimney fire. If by chance you do ever encounter a chimney fire...shut down the air, call 9-1-1, and get out of the house. Don't go up on the roof. Don't open the door on your stove/insert. Don't start spraying things down with fire extinguishers. Rick

^We've always kept half a bucket of ashes by the stove...in case of chimney fire we use the ashes to smother the fire.

I dont think i would want to open the door while the fire was out of control!That burst of extra oxygen could make things worse.I still say blocking all air intakes to starve the fire would be the best bet.

I have had 2 chimney fires in terracotta/cement/brick chimneys without harm to them.

What must be monitored are the chunks of burning ash that shoot out of the chimney, land on the roof and ignite it. I put them out with the spray nozzle attached to a hose without climbing on the roof – because I was awake when the fires occurred. But the best solution I implemented was to replace the old roof with fire resistant composite roofing material when I roofed the house.

During these chimney fires, I did not shut the flu as it would have been suicidal to reach in an open fire place and pull the lever closed.

It burned ferociously for 1-2 minutes, with "dancing diamond" like plasma structures in the exhaust stream, and a jet engine like roar. I didn’t care if the house burned down since it was Silicon Valley bomb crater to begin with and I was single, 29, and actually wanted to rebuild the place into something nicer.

Since then I have realized that the destructiveness of chimney fires is perceived much as other urban myths - over exaggerated. If a chimney (terracotta or Class A stainless steel) is built to code, then the destructiveness of such fires has been build into the design and such fires are not something to loose sleep over.

I almost stepped on a rattle snake last weekend – the first one I have ever seen after living in California 50 years. We stood 6 inches away from each other when I noticed it. We just looked at each other and went our separate ways.

If I were to believe everything TIME magazine had told us over the years, I would be dead now.

All of the advice I have read on this thread is very good. IMHO the biggest thing to remember is that keeping a level head during events such as these, pays better dividends than any single silver bullet activity. Read the fire, then you'll know what to do.

When I was a bit younger I was on a small fire department and put out my share of chimney fires. Booster line with a chimney nozzle up and down the inside of the chimney until it is out. Talk about sore arms. How do you know if you have a good size chimney fire going? It sounds loud like a freight train and you can sometimes see the fire coming from the chimney depending on where it is. What I would do is make sure I never have an uncontrolled chimney fire although that is not a recommendation by any means. Some of you more seasoned wood burners will know what I am talking about. First rule of thumb is preventing it from happening. Like most of the above posts. Hot fire, clean dry wood, and keep it cleaned at least once a year if you can. If you do have one, dial 911, close off the dampers as best you can but it is not going to do much if the fire is in the chimney. Get out and let the guys that make the big money save your house. None of the chimney fires I have ever responded too made it out of the flue. Some of them were so bad that I could not even get a small 1 1/2 line up and down a standard square flu it was so plugged. One guy had one every 3 years like clock work. He did not want to pay to have it cleaned so his first fire every year he would crank it up and sure enough the chimney would be glowing hot. When it got out of control he would call the fire department and we would put it out and basically clean out his flu. The Chief was not very happy about this. Overall, don't be too concerned about chimney fires as they won’t happen if you keep things clean.

One of the paid nozzleheads I know said the SOP on a chimney fire was to make SURE it was out by blasting it from the top making sure the entire fire was out and the remains of said fire was left in the living room. They never had to do this more than once...

Chris

HeatsTwice said:
I have had 2 chimney fires in terracotta/cement/brick chimneys without harm to them.

Now I understand the HeatsTwice better ;-)

The problem is that most folks have no idea about if or where the contractor that built the house and the mason that built the chimney might have fudged a bit on clearances. Then when one really needs the chimney to be in great shape and has a hot fire burning 24/7 - boom, pyrolysis hits. It's a crapshoot, but each chimney fire has the potential to compromise the system a bit more. They are really best to be avoided in the first place.

What everybody said is best..first prevent it...and if it happens report it. (911 fire dept exc). In my 16 plus years experience, I have only used or have observed water used on a chimney fire that has extended to the structure. I am sure water on a very hot metal stove would most likely destroy it. Plus the water damage to the home. From what I understand from the guys that been around a while, water was the norm back in the day when there was nothing else. They also used to sell flares called CHIM-X for placement in the firebox during a chimney fire and I have noticed, from what I can remember and from what I was told, marginal success results in fire extinguishment. Now, I would not, can not, ever recommend a home owner doing this, but if you would have a chimney fire and you would call the fire dept I would bet that if the chimney was still actively burning when they arrived you would see them putting the contents of a plain old ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher up the flu. It works very well for the fire dept and is very inexpensive and causes very little additional damage to the structure. About the worst of it is a mess. The best thing I can recommend a homeowner doing in the event of a chimney fire is first get everybody out of the structure, call the fire dept and if at all possible close off all controls to the stove. And this is only to be done if it can be completed safely. Also...once you have exited the structure, you can observe for fire spillage onto the roof from the chimney. This is ONE of the most common situations that I have observed in 16 years that can cause further fire extension and damage to the property. And if the situation permits (weather, availability of water source, type and size of structure and roof exc) the property owner could possibly safely attempt to control this fire spillage from the safety of the outside with a garden hose. But do not get on the roof to complete this....you would most likely make matters worse for the fire dept and possibly get yourself killed.

BeGreen said:
HeatsTwice said:

Now I understand the HeatsTwice better

The problem is that most folks have no idea about if or where the contractor that built the house and the mason that built the chimney might have fudged a bit on clearances. Then when one really needs the chimney to be in great shape and has a hot fire burning 24/7 - boom, pyrolysis hits. It's a crapshoot, but each chimney fire has the potential to compromise the system a bit more. They are really best to be avoided in the first place.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is what you understand given your propensity to used innuendo to muddle clarity on many issues I have seen you comment on.

But that aside, I can say that you are correct about how contractors fudge on building codes. I personally have had a sub floor fire caused by improperly build firebox which mated right up to the wood with only a brick vinere between them. Cracks in the mortar allowed plasma to reach the wood subfloor and ignite a smolder – which caught fire as soon as the fire department cut a whole in the family room floor using a chain saw.

BTW, has anybody ever noticed that the fire department often does more damage to a structure than what the fire could have done? I watch these guys drag an ax right into a 4x6 glass door, laugh, and tell me that the insurance company would take care of it.

HeatsTwice said:
Cracks in the mortar allowed plasma to reach the wood subfloor and ignite a smolder – which caught fire as soon as the fire department cut a whole in the family room floor using a chain saw.

"Plasma"? You have solar flares in your firebox? :ahhh: What oh what are you burning?

ricardo loma said:
keep a wet newspaper inside a breadbag by the stove. when chimney fires, place bag in stove. bag melts & wet paper releases steam . prof says so!
NOW LET'S READ THE FEEDBACK FROM LOCAL GENIUSES.

I keep a large bag of Pook next to the stove. I don't wait for a chimney fire, I throw it in just for the heck of it and to listen to it scream.

BrotherBart said:
HeatsTwice said:
Cracks in the mortar allowed plasma to reach the wood subfloor and ignite a smolder – which caught fire as soon as the fire department cut a whole in the family room floor using a chain saw.

"Plasma"? You have solar flares in your firebox? :ahhh: What oh what are you burning?
I burn wood.

Plasma is the word physicist used to describe heated air that glows. A detonating H-bomb in the sky creates a plasma cloud. Burning wood creates a plasma cloud above and in the combustion area. It’s a better word that just “fire” because all heated air is not fire but can be called plasma. Plus the word fire is ambiguous.

Sorry for the confusion.

BrotherBart said:
ricardo loma said:
keep a wet newspaper inside a breadbag by the stove. when chimney fires, place bag in stove. bag melts & wet paper releases steam . prof says so!
NOW LET'S READ THE FEEDBACK FROM LOCAL GENIUSES.

I keep a large bag of Pook next to the stove. I don't wait for a chimney fire, I throw it in just for the heck of it and to listen to it scream.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is "pook"?

HeatsTwice said:
BrotherBart said:
HeatsTwice said:

I burn wood.

Plasma is the word physicist used to describe heated air that glows. A detonating H-bomb in the sky creates a plasma cloud. Burning wood creates a plasma cloud above and in the combustion area. It’s a better word that just “fire” because all heated air is not fire but can be called plasma. Plus the word fire is ambiguous.

Sorry for the confusion.

Technically, he's right...

Pook is an enigma wrapped in a mystery we keep around here for comic relief. Right now, he's posing as ricardo loma...

Chris

Redox said:
...Technically, he's right...

Well, since when did we start worrying about that around here?

Redox said:
...Pook is an enigma wrapped in a mystery we keep around here for comic relief. Right now, he's posing as ricardo loma...

I think of Pook as a whole other state of matter, similar in some ways to a plasma, but much more complex. :cheese: Rick

HeatsTwice said:
BeGreen said:
HeatsTwice said:

Now I understand the HeatsTwice better

It wouldn't surprise me if that is what you understand given your propensity to used innuendo to muddle clarity on many issues I have seen you comment on.

No need to take offense heatstwice, I meant it purely in jest after reading about the two chimney fires. It's summer and the thread was getting a little silly anyway. If you find something I've posted is unclear, ask for a clarification. Happy to oblige if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.