If you could do it all over agian what unit and how set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
I have 5000 square ft house and was going to go with outside would boiler, but have liked review on all gassification units. Agian if you were me what would you do. My budget has to stay under $10,000 so garmin are out.

Definately look at a gassifier . Just the work you save in wood is worth not to mention the money for wood.

I was sitting where you are now a little over a year ago. Read here a lot, you'll get a great education. Our home is about the same size as yours except I'll bet your house is far more energy efficient. I'm very pleased with the BioMass 60 and would select it again. Read here and you'll see lots of satisfied gasser boiler users. You'll read about systems here similar to what you need. But, you're looking at spending 10k without storage if you design and install yourself. You'll get lots of design help here and from whomever you buy the boiler from. Getting late in the season to get it all installed for this winter unless you hustle. Read and enjoy.

I did it all over again and as soon as cold weather arrives, I'm ready. Moved my Tarm Solo Plus 40 with 1000 gallons of pressurized storage from my old 800 sq ft shop, poorly insulated, to my new 1500 sq ft shop, well insulated, in-floor radiant. The Tarm supplies the storage, located 6' feet away from the boiler. Storage boxed in and fully insulated (R-30). In-floor radiant draws from storage. Stub outs available to add a unit heater, if needed. Three seasons of experience were the ground work for the new install. Good success on your project.

Also search on the discussions regarding boiler placement; indoors or outdoors (there are devotees to both sides). There is no question that placing it indoors is the most energy efficient. The boiler itself and the necessary piping/systems radiate heat which in the outdoor installation is mostly wasted. Many indoor users here have learned how to run their indoor systems cleanly. I am an outdoor user and willing to trade efficiency for keeping the byproducts of operating these things out of our home. Have fun.

I would swap my GW100 for a Vitolig200

I would have built the greenhouse to put the boiler in, instead of a building who's only purpose/use is to be a 'boiler room'

But of course, none of this could be done for 10k ;-)

I am not sure I would do anything different really. While the Froling is a great piece of equipment, I am glad to have started with a forced draft gasser with no storage if for no other reason than to gain experience. It provides an excellent frame of reference for comparison.

cheers

This coming winter will be my first season with a gassifier and storage.

I have learned so much form others on this forum who have shared their successes and disappointments and explained details I would never have anticipated that I might avoid some of the most common regrets.

So all I can say at this point is that I wish I could do exactly what I'm doing but started 5 years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.