I'm a addict!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Its official, I'm a wood hoarder!

Pulled in the driveway around noon after a 3 1/2 hour drive ( was up fishing for a long weekend) and my phone gives me a " notification " that there is a new free wood listing on clist. Just had to call the guy since it was close. Wouldn't you know it , its silver maple all cut up and I was told to bring a trailer. No problem I need some shoulder season wood and also can use some wood for the evaporator next year for sugaring.

I arrive around 2 pm and see these piles of wood and think what the heck I need more than a trailer! Anyways I managed 2 truck and trailer loads so far and I'm guessing there is at least another 4 loads . I measured one of the larger pieces and its over 5ft diameter. :eek:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371601107213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371601107213.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 292
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371601123359.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371601123359.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 280
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371601137864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371601137864.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 295
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371601167325.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371601167325.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 299
Been there and done that. Got a silver last fall that was 52" DBH. It is now stacked out to about 5 cords. So if yours is 60" I'd say you have a 6-8 cord haul going there. Hope your ready to do some splitting:p .

Reactions: ScotO
Nice score!! I have to ask though how do you get your phone to tell you about free wood listings on craigslist? I need to set mine up to do that.

I need to live in an area that has cell service and people that give wood away:(

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's a great score!! Should def make some nice shoulder season wood!

Good stuff!

Welcome to the club!

Reactions: ScotO
Fun & challanging to split the big rounds.
Definitely need pictures when you do ;)

Nice score!

That's a great score man !! , and some big uns :cool:
Do you have enough wood for 2025 yet :)

Just wondering, what will U do to get the big ones, sledge n wedges or ????

You might need the chopper on this one ;)

I was just thinking
How many Michigan cords do ya think ya have there ;lol ;)

Nice score!! I have to ask though how do you get your phone to tell you about free wood listings on craigslist? I need to set mine up to do that.

Its top secret :p. Download the craigslist plus app, can set to notify you

Wishlist, that's a hell of a nice load there!! I love silver and red maple, IMO its the best SS wood you can get.......it seasons fast and burns super clean.

As for those big rounds, when you get 30-40 splits from one round, you know you have something there!! Big rounds kick azz!!

When a single round yields a loader full - ya gotz some big rounds.
logsplitter 007.jpg

I love working with big rounds.

Just got home from getting another truck and trailer load. Took the fiskers and split one of the larger rounds . Needed it moved to allow the trailer to get closer. Worked good, just worked my around the the round.

Gonna take over the hydraulic splitter this weekend and finish it up. Still at least 3 more loads . Guess I'm gonna have to split vertical or noodle? Maybe just noodle and that way it won't be so embarrassing splitting a@% backwards!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reactions: Defiant
I guess the homeowner has to request that the cut up wood remain behind when a tree company comes and cuts those down. But if I was in the business of cutting them down I would want the wood to process for a second income. Its surprising that the homeowner takes the second step of advertising and having someone on their property that has no insurance. The one step simple solution is to have the tree company take the wood.
But that is ALOT of wood there. Nice of the homeowner...but maybe they have to pay extra to have the tree taken away.
Looks like alot of paid labor time to chainsaw those huge rounds into moveable pieces.

Awesome score! Curious to see how much it stacks out to be.

Wow, that's a monster! _g Love that soft Maple.
Does it look like the guy burns wood? I see a stack in the background, but looks like it's been there a while....

Wow, that's a monster! _g Love that soft Maple.
Does it look like the guy burns wood? I see a stack in the background, but looks like it's been there a while....

That last pic is the pile is at my house. There's some oak, sugar maple , elm , and ash that still needs splitting. The stacked piles have been there for 4 years. Should be ready even by Backwoods Savage's standards! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.