I'm a Convert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
For years I've been singing the praises of my Chopper II splitting axe, but I recently got a standard splitting maul (probably 6 lbs) at a garage sale, and it is significantly better. I tried some pieces that I'd given up on with the Chopper, and they split easily.

I have a Fiskars splitting ax and an 8 lb maul. The maul will split certain large or tough pieces more easily than the Fiskars will. I use them both, depending on my mood or on the wood.

See I am the other way around. My chopper one or le chopper seems to do better. Maybe you just do better with the extra weight?

I also have an eight pound maul and a Fiskers SS. I recently cut down a water oak. The trunk was very green. 16 inch diameter. 21 inch long bucks.
The maul did a better job of busting up the rounds. After the first split, the SS did a great job. Less tiring to swing it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.