I'm afraid I'm gonna have to do it......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
That is to start burning N/S. My little Englander 13 burns Sooooo much better N/S. I've started bucking the trees I have to cut at smaller lengths. It'll be more cuts and work but I like how the stove performs.

Mine works better that way too. Just a little extra work but it's worth it.

We're thinking the same thing.

I have about 25 pieces of mixed oak, cherry, and pine 20" - 30" long that is ready to burn, but to long for either stove. As soon as the snow dries off of them, we're going to cut them, and see what happens.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
We're thinking the same thing.

I have about 25 pieces of mixed oak, cherry, and pine 20" - 30" long that is ready to burn, but to long for either stove. As soon as the snow dries off of them, we're going to cut them, and see what happens.

You will like the results

I'm thinking we will, probably get more longer burns times, I would think.

trailrated said:
That is to start burning N/S. My little Englander 13 burns Sooooo much better N/S. I've started bucking the trees I have to cut at smaller lengths. It'll be more cuts and work but I like how the stove performs.

Trailrated - would you please be more specific? How does the stove perform differentlyN/S vs E/W? Thanks.

I just bought a used 10" Delta Mitre Saw for $30 for the specific purpose of cutting some of my splits & logs from 18" - 20" down to half size for N/S loading as the depth of my firebox is only 14". Makes for much easier loading and eliminates the chance of a log rolling out of the stove when opening the door. I can cut through up to a 4" log with the 10" blade. A thicker log just requires turning the log over and making a second cut. Seems much easier than making shorter cuts with the chain saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.