I'm alive! I haven't burned my house down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I did, however, bork my computer all to hell, which is why I've been gone. =)

My stove is wonderful! I have pictures! That I can't post because this computer doesn't have an SD card reader and I don't have the right cables to hook up my camera, BUT I DO HAVE THEM.

My only problem is that it's freaking tiny. Which, I knew that, and I needed a small stove, but... DANG. The manual says not to let coals build more than 1" below the lip of the door, which is like... maybe half an inch? I have no idea how you could even hope to burn 24/7 or even just all day and not having more coals than that. Yesterday was my first full 24 hours of burning and I've got more ASH than that. It's also so narrow that you have to be REALLY CAREFUL when you open the door or add more wood not to let embers fall out- I started holding my coal shovel up against the lip to catch anything. I started raking them towards the back and sides and putting the splits on top of that, which worked fine as far as keeping the fire going. I would definitely recommend going more than the minimum amount of front protection or putting down a hearth board. Basically they could've put a side loading door and not hurt my feelings any. And an ash pan. =P They're also delusional if they think that it will accept 16" logs. Maybe ONE 16" log, set diagonally. Most of my wood is thankfully on the shorter side, or I'd be in a pickle.

I can't get this stove above 350 to save my life and even that was with a stove chok-full of hot coals and two splits in full flames. It heats the main living room up fine, but the bedrooms are cold. It would be tricky for any stove, since I live in a trailer and it's all shotgun style with the stove in the middle. I'm playing with fans to see how best to move the heat down the hallways. My wood is nice and try, it's not overly smoky, I don't hear any pops or sizzles, and it catches faster than anything.

Also it'd be nice if there was a flue damper. You can choke down the air supply from the OAK but that's it. Lot of heat just going up my flue!

I have yet to get this stove to stay lit overnight. I just don't know if it's possible with how little it is and how shallow a coal bed you can build up. Any ideas?

All in all, I am very pleased with it. It looks great, the view is wonderful, and it's practically foolproof. It's not big enough for you to overfire it. The secondaries just go gangbusters easy as pie and all I have to do is do a small paper fire to warm the flue up, build the little log cabin style to start my fire, and then off she goes. The only real complaints I have are the problems with the coals and not being able to get an overnight. Basically about five more inches in depth or maybe 2 or 3 inches deeper from the stove door to the bottom of the firebox, so you wouldn't have to worry about setting your foot on fire whenever you open the door would fix it. I suppose I could cut all my wood to about 8" long, but... no. =P

As soon as I get my real computer back from the shop I'll have pictures up, promise!

~Rose

Yes, I can share your joy! Glad you can get some cheap heat! Our stove is small too, no overnight fires, but that's the way it is. You might have overnight fires about Sept. 2011~~when the baby gets you up to nurse you can poke the fire and put a few pieces in. You'll be burning overnight then! :)

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I can't get this stove above 350 to save my life and even that was with a stove chok-full of hot coals and two splits in full flames.

I've been wondering about you Rose. Good to hear all is ok. Sorry about the computer.

About where is the air control set when the stove blazing as described? Is it mostly closed? The symptoms described sound a bit like half-seasoned wood?

I had it open- it's a pretty short rod so there's not a lot of room between open and shut and shut seems to kill the flames too much? Or maybe I'm just not used to what this stove is supposed to look like when its cruising.

~Rose

That's why you aren't getting heat. Lots of air can actually cool down the fire and push that heat up the flue. It should be able to close down at least 3/4's if the wood is decent. Try closing it down in increments. Close it down til the fire gets lazy and wait 5-10 minutes. It should gather strength. Then close it down another 25% or until the flames get lazy again. The stove top should be hitting about 500+ and by doing so you should be feeling a lot more heat.

If the stove doesn't respond to this, the wood may need more seasoning. But I think it will and with it you'll get more heat and longer burn times.

Yeah I have had a small mobile with a tiny stove. Begreen hit the nail on the head. We were driven out by our little stove...

One more thing Rose to add to BeGreen's good post; you are not going to get a lot of heat from 2 splits! It also sounds like you may be thinking a bit too much about the coals. Yes, you need some but not to the point where you can't put more wood in the stove.

Where do you have the thermometer on the stove? Which type of thermometer is it?

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.