I'm Back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc8367

Feb 14, 2008
Long Island
I know this question has been asked many times before so I appreciate your patience but I'd love to here your feedback.
7 yrs ago I was thinking of installing a pellet fireplace insert but held off because the location and layout of my house was not conducive to a good flow but I plan to redo the the house to open things up a bit. Now an insert will work perfectly but the question is should I still go with pellet or maybe wood or coal? I like the pellet because of the less storage required vs wood but how have prices been? Oil by me is sub $2.49 per gal (it will go back up) and wood cost particularly nothing around me if I'm will to do the work of cutting/splitting/stacking. As for coal my wife is against it because she grew up with a coal stove and she always felt it caused more dust then what its worth. Plus I really don't see an abundant amount coal buying options in my area. Living on the south shore of Long Island with a single floor 1500 sq ft house if pellets I would expect to use 3-4 tons, 6-7 cords wood or 3-4? tons of coal.

Status
Not open for further replies.