I'm dreaming of a Giant Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I have driven by this OSB plant many times but I had never stopped to take a photo.

My 13 year old son was pretty amazed to see semi after semi bringing in loads from the bush to be set on the piles ready to be chipped into OSboard.

Poplar, Cottonwood and birch all getting chipped up into tiny little pieces :(

Attachments

• Giant wood piles.jpg
    Giant wood piles.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 337
Why don't you drop in for a quick "Hi!". Mabey bring in some "doghnuts" in the morning. Oh, BTW, is there any wood you guy's don't use? Just curious, 'cause I only need X-amount a year....... and so the conversation can begin. Better yet, ask for a tour with/for your son, so he can see how OSB is made. Go from there. "This could be the beginin' of a beautiful friendship." HB

Did someone leave their toy payloader out by dad's woodpile?

We have looked into getting the castoffs from the plant. They have certain tolerances as to whether a given length of wood is bent or not able to be used in the plant. There are people in the area who get the wood for their own use.

The area where the plant is is actually full of loggers who will sell semi-loads of wood.

The first challenge is the cost of fuel to get the load down the four hours from the plant. The second challenge is getting a semi-load of green wood onto one's property and patiently waiting the up to two years for it to be burnable. The wood comes in eight foots or sixteen foots and it comes wetter than wet.

I like the line of thinking about the donuts and coffee though.... With that in mind I will be heading out shortly this morning to assist my tree service buddy in loading up a very large trailer with beautiful Ash firewood that he is being paid well to "dispose" of. I will be paying his gas and buying his wife a gift card to her favorite coffee shop.

This pile of wood will be documented by photograph (in a new thread) when it is here in a few hours and.....

This is the first big reward for being willing to take Box Elder. pine and spruce when this fine gentlemen calls me with free wood. If the load is as big as he says it is it will clearly push us into being well ahead for 2011-1012.

Add to this the fact that soon the wheat will be harvested on my neighbour's property and I will have better access to the acres of Ash and Poplar and I am far better off sticking close to home for my wood gathering.

Status
Not open for further replies.