I'm in a quandry.....and a little pissed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
So last summer, I yank out multiple cords of log length from some property owned by my wifes friends. They were begging for it to be removed. $50.00 in gas a round trip for me.- Went back last weekend, did the "How've you been? Sit and chat." for awhile, then asked what else they wanted gone?{at this point, I will refer to the parties as X,Y,and Z) X owns the property, Y owns alot of the neighboring property, and Z owns a middle section. X tells me they want this and that gone, then Y pipes up and says Z wants this area gone. Confused? I wasn't at the time. OK, Z's wood is right there, so we load about 2+ cord of log length and away we go. Planned on going back up this weekend to remove the other 2+ cord. Because he wanted it gone, right? Get a call from Z tonight, telling me there was a "Mis-communication". That wood was offered to Y and others only, and doesn't blame me for the mix-up, but if I want the rest, he wants $100. It's all for his 16 yr. old son, and sweat equity. I really feel like crap right now. But I don't want to give him $100.00 for something that wasn't my fault, when 4 miles down the road, I can get as much as I want for free. Needless to say, Y is on my "Chit" list, until this gets rectified. Sorry for the rant, just figured someone here might have experience with this sort of situation. Hopefully not. So, what's the right thing to do? Thanks, JB

If the $100 is for the rest, why don't you just leave it and be good with what you have?

So you do all the work and pay them $100!

Just say "no thanks" Tell them to put it on Craigslist if they want to sell it

That appears to be the case, and I don't need Z's wood. I just don't "mess" people over, and I don't need the self-imposed guilt that I did the wrong thing. Must be the Roman-Catholic in me, guilt is a lifestyle I'm told.

Beetle-Kill said:
That appears to be the case, and I don't need Z's wood. I just don't "mess" people over, and I don't need the self-imposed guilt that I did the wrong thing. Must be the Roman-Catholic in me, guilt is a lifestyle I'm told.

Yes the guilt keeps you doing what they want you to!

I have to clarify, Z's were all down and limbed, plus nicely stacked. All I had to do was cut to "hauling" length-8-10', and toss it off the hillside and load it. They did alot of work to get it there. My part was easy compared to theirs.

I'm still not clear. you said they want $100 for the rest which to me means the wood you haven't picked up yet. If you don't get it there is no money involved, correct?

Beetle-Kill said:
I have to clarify, Z's were all down and limbed, plus nicely stacked. All I had to do was cut to "hauling" length-8-10', and toss it off the hillside and load it. They did alot of work to get it there. My part was easy compared to theirs.

If we are talking a good amount here, already down and trimmed give em the $100, get the wood and everyone will feel better.

Or tell em to buck, split it and stack it, you will come back next year and get it when it had seasoned ;)

Whatever you do, first learn to spell "quandary". Then find a way to let go of the guilt...preferably by tossing it back to the people who gave it to you. Rick

ANeat, for the money I'm going to give it to them. They put in alot of time to do this, I just got blindsided by the request. It's going to cost way more than I can generate (wood-wise) for the same amount of fuel and time, but so be it. If I can, I plan on getting Y drunk, then shaving his head clean. Mabey a tat' on that bald head will wake him up? It'll make me giggle. :coolsmile:

family? & friends? & business?
Bet we all have stories of how well it never works.

Good luck, $100 sounds cheap compared to what it could've escalated into.

Shaved head, worth the $100 :) LOL

Seems to me that Y owes Z the $100 bucks. Or Y should be the guilt bearer.

Situation sucks, but most of us would jump on $25 a cord. If it saves hard feelings with the wife's friends I'd part with the cash and not sweat about it anymore.

Me . . . I would leave the rest of the wood and not feel guilty . . . at least not for long . . . if it wasn't my fault . . . or if I had too much guilt . . . and the wood was good and there was enough of it . . . I would pay the $100 and pick up the rest and everyone is happy.

I'd just forget the whole thing and burn the wood. Leave the rest to them. However, I'd be danged sure to keep this transaction in the memory bank.

I cannot believe some of what I'm hearing. To many people just "roll over and take it" or "give in" to easy.

Its like this-if I sell you a car, and then my buddy calls you the next day and says "Those tires on that car are mine not the guy that sold you the car, I need you to pay me $100 for them"

Well sorry, but the "issue" should be between me and my buddy, not the buyer of the car.

Ok, I went back and re-read this. The guy that actually owns the wood was not present it sounds like. Ok, now i see the problem a little clearer. I still wouldn't pay $100 plus $50 fuel each trip when he said this-

"4 miles down the road, I can get as much as I want for free."

That says it all for me.

So sounds like Z told Y, "you can have that wood if you want"...Y didn't want it but told you to take it, but Z didn't intend for it to go to 'communal' property? [ie maybe Z and Y are friends, Y and you are friends, but Z and you don't necessarily know each other that well?]

I guess I could see that. If I told a good friend or family they could have something for their use, but then they told one of their friends I didn't know (or didn't know very well) to come get it, I might be like 'sorry - I wasn't giving it away to just anyone.' I guess the end result is the same (I've given away my stuff), but I wouldn't think twice about giving a close friend/family member $100 if they really needed it, but it would have to be an exceptional situation to give a stranger $100. You also say Z wants $100 for 'the rest' so it sounds like he is in 'what is done is done' mode?

I'd probably tell Z - sorry about the mix up, I thought I was just helping everyone out by hauling away unwanted wood. I respect your decision, but can't drive that far and pay when I can get wood close to home. If he want's $100 for the wood you already have, I'd probably say - sorry I can't afford that, it's at my place if you want to come get it back.

Though the second lesson is always talk to the direct land owner before taking stuff. I do this every time I get wood for fear of one day hitting a craigslist ad of 'Big tree in our yard, come cut it down and haul away the wood" - only to find out the ad was placed by a spiteful neighbor or someone else who wants the tree gone...not necessarily the actual property owner.

cozy heat said:
So sounds like Z told Y, "you can have that wood if you want"...Y didn't want it but told you to take it, but Z didn't intend for it to go to 'communal' property? [ie maybe Z and Y are friends, Y and you are friends, but Z and you don't necessarily know each other that well?]

I guess I could see that. If I told a good friend or family they could have something for their use, but then they told one of their friends I didn't know (or didn't know very well) to come get it, I might be like 'sorry - I wasn't giving it away to just anyone.' I guess the end result is the same (I've given away my stuff), but I wouldn't think twice about giving a close friend/family member $100 if they really needed it, but it would have to be an exceptional situation to give a stranger $100. You also say Z wants $100 for 'the rest' so it sounds like he is in 'what is done is done' mode?

I'd probably tell Z - sorry about the mix up, I thought I was just helping everyone out by hauling away unwanted wood. I respect your decision, but can't drive that far and pay when I can get wood close to home. If he want's $100 for the wood you already have, I'd probably say - sorry I can't afford that, it's at my place if you want to come get it back.

Though the second lesson is always talk to the direct land owner before taking stuff. I do this every time I get wood for fear of one day hitting a craigslist ad of 'Big tree in our yard, come cut it down and haul away the wood" - only to find out the ad was placed by a spiteful neighbor or someone else who wants the tree gone...not necessarily the actual property owner.

I agree, tell Z- if he wants the wood back he can have it. Its in your yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.