I'm looking for some help for my installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Michigan
The hvac guy who installed my stove (Lopi 1750) is a good guy, but admittedly doesn't know much about stoves. He left the outer wall of the double-wall about 2 inches short of the flange because he said it doesn't fit over the flange on the top of the stove. I'm assuming there is an adapter that fits over the flange and into the double wall? He says he doesn't know the brand of the pipe ("but they all pretty much work together"), and I don't see a sticker or name on any of it. Here's a picture if anyone has an idea:

photo%202.JPG

Also, he's willing to take another whack at the install. It's straight up through the roof. Could he do anything that would let me clean it from the inside? He said other than putting a 90 with a T in it that I could open and clean out, he doesn't have any suggestions. I don't have room to put a 90 in it. Does anyone have any suggestions that would let me take it apart and clean it from the inside? Here's a pic of the whole thing:
photo 2.JPG

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have about this.

The first pic is a red x :(

I am thinking I know what happened but I'm not sure. Inside the stove there's a little tab that sticks out where the pipe will fit in. Our installers notched the pipe in that spot so it will fit down in. I wish I had pics. But the short answer is that the pipe should sit all the way down onto the top of the stove, imo. Ours does.

you probably need a stove adapter for the double wall pipe, the place you got the pipe from should have this part- they are needed about 1/2 the time...

and yes, it can be cleaned from inside if you remove a baffle brick and have flexible gear like a Viper or sooteater, and dont have a screen that needs cleaning on the cap...

I found the pipe brand. It's Selkirk w/n 15449 model DSP. Does anyone know the name/number of the part I need? This installer is apparently not too worried about getting back to me.

Thanks in advance!

Bueller ... Bueller.... Does anyone know what I need here? Apparently the pipe came from Menards and they don't know if there is an adapter for this stove.

Thanks

Last edited:
Or try your Lopi dealer. We had ours installed so I can't say for certain what numbers and parts they used. I can't imagine stoves would vary too much, there's got to be a part out there.

Call Selkirk to get the part #. Selkirk might just go ahead and ship it to Menard's for you, without you having to order it through Menard's.:)
I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks.
Or try your Lopi dealer. We had ours installed so I can't say for certain what numbers and parts they used. I can't imagine stoves would vary too much, there's got to be a part out there.
I talked with the dealer, but they didn't install it and don't use Selkirk pipe. He said the pipe that they do use wouldn't necessarily match.

Menard's generally has that adapter in stock.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating...6-stove-adapter/p-1936078-c-6890.htm?tpt=5_en

It doesn't look like he put finishing bands on? If you're using DSP for clearance issues, you need them. Also makes a little cleaner looking install.
http://www.menards.com/main/heating...universal-finishing-band/p-1936066-c-6890.htm

Is there a telescoping section on the bottom? It isn't too hard to slide it up, tape a bag over the bottom, and use a regular brush and rods.

Thanks a lot, Jeff!

I will check our local Menards. It doesn't have a telescoping section, but what you are describing sounds ideal - I'll check to see if Menard's has that, as well. If they don't carry it, I'll order one and take it to him.

I don't think we need the double wall for clearance, but I can look into it. Does a band go at each joint?

Thanks again for this information.

In my case I had around 60" I believe from stove to adapter at the ceiling so with the long telescoping joint it eliminated the need for any other pieces. One piece of pipe and done.

Reactions: webby3650
In my case I had around 60" I believe from stove to adapter at the ceiling so with the long telescoping joint it eliminated the need for any other pieces. One piece of pipe and done.

Yep. I've only ever needed one piece, the long one. Menard's stocks the short one, the long one is special order.

I don't believe the finishing bands are necessary at each joint, just at the adapters. When the two pipe sections are crimped, the insulating value of the air space is lost, and the finishing band restores that. I remember reading that somewhere, but I can't find it now ;em .

That's great, I'll order the longer one.

Sadly, I think I've already paid for for lots of stove pipe here, but hopefully this will be the end of it.

Thanks to you both.

Yes, I just had one band at the adapter at the ceiling.

He left the outer wall of the double-wall about 2 inches short of the flange because he said it doesn't fit over the flange on the top of the stove. I'm assuming there is an adapter that fits over the flange and into the double wall?
I'm confused by this statement. The upper pipe segment must fit down inside the lower pipe segment, not the other way around. Similarly, your pipe must slide into (not onto) the stove outlet. Think of condensed creosote or rain running down the inside wall of your flue pipe. It must not leak out at the joints.

I'm assuming he must have trimmed it off, but who knows. Here's what it looks like: (I'm not sure why it's inverted)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 150
I'm confused by this statement. The upper pipe segment must fit down inside the lower pipe segment, not the other way around. Similarly, your pipe must slide into (not onto) the stove outlet. Think of condensed creosote or rain running down the inside wall of your flue pipe. It must not leak out at the joints.

It is double wall pipe. The top is crimped so it fits in the outer wall of the bottom of the next pipe. The inner bottom fits in the crimped top end like it should.

Not sure what is in that pic. It looks like the outer part of a telescopic section, mixed with a piece of single wall?

Are you there with the stove?

It is double wall pipe. The top is crimped so it fits in the outer wall of the bottom of the next pipe. The inner bottom fits in the crimped top end like it should.

Not sure what is in that pic. It looks like the outer part of a telescopic section, mixed with a piece of single wall?

Are you there with the stove?
No, I'm not with the stove.

Do you think it's possible he cut the outer layer off the double wall? I don't think it's telescopic - he didn't think telescopic double wall existed... and if it had been telescopic, I think it would have just slid down and we'd be done!

It looks like a piece of 24 gauge black pipe stuck into the flue collar, he has tried to make an adapter himself. You don't want to hide a piece of black pipe in there, it needs to be stainless like the interior of your double wall pipe. You need that stove top adapter and a telescoping piece. How does he plan on making that final connection to the stove? Somethings gotta give here! Make your life easier and get that slip section.

If your roof is as steep as it looks, you would likely be money ahead to pay a sweep to come out to clean it. It can be done with a Viper from the inside, as long as you know how to put the baffle back together.

Reactions: jeff_t
By the way, How seasoned is that wood in the picture? It looks pretty fresh split.

Looks like he slid a telescoping section apart, and replaced the bottom with a piece of single wall. Probably because the dsp wouldn't fit the flue collar.

It looks like a piece of 24 gauge black pipe stuck into the flue collar, he has tried to make an adapter himself. You don't want to hide a piece of black pipe in there, it needs to be stainless like the interior of your double wall pipe. You need that stove top adapter and a telescoping piece. How does he plan on making that final connection to the stove? Somethings gotta give here! Make your life easier and get that slip section.

If your roof is as steep as it looks, you would likely be money ahead to pay a sweep to come out to clean it. It can be done with a Viper from the inside, as long as you know how to put the baffle back together.

The bottom of the shorter (outer) piece is sharp, like it was cut. Until I had him back out, he thought he was done -- he wasn't planning on doing anything else.

I'll get the telescoping section and the adaptor. I'm hoping I can slide the telescoping section up and clean it without taking the baffle/bricks out of the stove.

By the way, How seasoned is that wood in the picture? It looks pretty fresh split.
The wood is from last fall -- I'm doubtful it meets the Hearth.com moisture test.
Looks like he slid a telescoping section apart, and replaced the bottom with a piece of single wall. Probably because the dsp wouldn't fit the flue collar.
Maybe that's what it is, but he doesn't think telescoping double wall exists. He told me that himself yesterday.

Thanks everyone.

I don't think that section has been cut, it still has the pre-punched holes in it. Unless he drilled it?

I don't think that section has been cut, it still has the pre-punched holes in it. Unless he drilled it?
I'm sure you are right. You folks have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know. I'm just trying to make sense of it, and come up with something safe.

Again, that guy installed the stove a year ago -- I used it all last winter. I only had him back out because I saw smoke puff out of the space in the pipe at the top of the stove (it only happened once on a really windy day -- I'm thinking maybe it was down-drafting?). When I met him yesterday it was pretty obvious he didn't know his way around wood stoves.

He's the builder's hvac guy. I would think you'd have to be certified, or something, to install stoves professionally. Apparently that's not the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.