I'm Loving Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Not really, this summer sucks, and it's not even summer, it's only spring, and it sucks, AC chugging away all day long trying to keep the house cool, go outside for 5 minutes and your drenched with sweat. Right now its 90 out with humidity sitting around 72%, and not a breeze to be had.

Also our first batch of mosquitoes have all hatched and grown up quite nicely, I'm sure they're all busy having babies of their own now, in between attacking en masse as soon as you open the door and step foot outside. Yep, gotta love it here.

This really works.

12803321?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This past weekend in SE Wisconsin was similarly rough. Tried to run the chainsaw for a bit, got vapor locked quickly. If you go into the woods, you are stripped to the bone by mosquitos, ticks are out in force, etc. I spray the lawn with some triazicide, it helps. Can't spray a few acres of woods!

Different story here in New England. Finally having a real spring.

Had a couple of hot & muggy days so far. Had to run the A/C a few nights to be able to sleep.

Otherwise it's been the whole house fan (redneck 20" box fan in the attic access hatch) with a cheap HVAC filter in one window to keep the pollen outside.

Had a low of 51 last night. Almost turned the truck heat up on the way home from work this morning. House is 66 inside with no humidity and the redneck fan has been off for several days.

Lots of people in the east not loving summer, but pumping out their basements. We have had many inches of rain in the last few days ,luckily its come steady for us in my small town and not too much at once,but the ground is super saturated and 2 more days of rain forecast. Folks in Pine Grove,Hershey and Tremont not so lucky. Tremont looked like Ellicott city earlier.

Last edited:
You would love what we are having. Hot with low humidity. Only downside is no rain. Nothing significant since mid-April. There is an advantage though, no mowing and no bugs. The lawn is brown.

We lived in Singapore for 3 years. Temp was about 92 F year round with 85+% humidity. Would go back in a heart beat. Well, I go back every year but that is for work and just for a week or so. Was in Phoenix a few weeks ago. Liked the 115 F temperature, but it was so dry, I (and many others) got nosebleeds.

We're having high humidity and high temps without any rain this summer, the basement has been the place to hang with the temp at 70 with the humidity around 45.

So far about 7 inches of rain but over a 5 day period. Local creek about halfway to floodstage. Another 6 ft or so. Still a lot of rain forecast for the next day and a half. Sunbury is getting hit good as usual. 1 good thunderstorm here and all bets are off.

We're having high humidity and high temps without any rain this summer, the basement has been the place to hang with the temp at 70 with the humidity around 45.

Wow, how are you getting 45% humidity levels in upstate or northern NY? I've lived in the "North Country" and have seen families who tolerate streams running thru their basements.

So far about 7 inches of rain but over a 5 day period. Local creek about halfway to floodstage. Another 6 ft or so. Still a lot of rain forecast for the next day and a half. Sunbury is getting hit good as usual. 1 good thunderstorm here and all bets are off.
Sounds like there is flooding already in some parts of the state like Hershey.

Wow, how are you getting 45% humidity levels in upstate or northern NY? I've lived in the "North Country" and have seen families who tolerate streams running thru their basements.
We have a Hisense dehumidifier running in the basement and the property the house is on is mostly sand..

Today the dewpoint is in the 70's with the humidity in the 90's, it's a sticky one.

Sounds like there is flooding already in some parts of the state like Hershey.
Many parts of the state are under water. Towns all around us have varying degrees of flooding. Depends how much rain ,and how fast locally. All our creeks are bank full ,just under flood stage in my small valley ,still a few thunderstorms to weather until it ends. got about 8 inches in the last few days and still raining. 90+ % humidity last few days.

My dehumidifier and sump pumps are in overdrive the last few days.

Here is Seattle's rainfall YTD. Where we live is in a rain shadow so we often get less. On average we are around 50% of what Seattle gets. The lawn crackles beneath our feet.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.04.17 PM.png

Here is Seattle's rainfall YTD. Where we live is in a rain shadow so we often get less. On average we are around 50% of what Seattle gets. The lawn crackles beneath our feet.

View attachment 228248
Not sure whats worse too much or not enough. We get our dry spells but usually short lived. Mostly in the fall.

Lots of people in the east not loving summer, but pumping out their basements. We have had many inches of rain in the last few days ,luckily its come steady for us in my small town and not too much at once,but the ground is super saturated and 2 more days of rain forecast. Folks in Pine Grove,Hershey and Tremont not so lucky. Tremont looked like Ellicott city earlier.

being a electrician i noticed the two of the buildings still had lights on. and with a basement full of water means the panel is under water and still working. code states that all those service panels are junk.

I relocated the service panel in my commercial building to the first floor after my basement flooded the first time. That way its just a tripped breaker if something in the basement gets shorted. Plus all the outlets are high up on the walls.

11.7 Inches of rain in 5 days. About what i observed in containers on my patio.