I'm Loving Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like the tropics. You folks back east are going to have to start treating for jungle rot.

i feel for guy's in penn. the most we keep getting up here in mass is 1 or 2 inch quick storms a day giving 1 to 2 inches each storm. so far all i had to do each day is dump a few hundred gallons of water from the pool to get down to the skimmer. hope things get better for you soon.

Its all behind us already, streams and creeks going down fast, even knoebels is already open for business today, but the humidity is crushing last few days. Im soaked within an hour of starting work even though its only around 80 degrees. I do have some inside work. whenever conditions outside become unbearable.

Hot here , but not too bad. AC was on till Sunday night

Took the kayaks out three days in a row, nice SSE breeze. Egrets, osprey, cormorants, and purple martins

My visiting nieces are getting stronger (12 yo) The tall thin one can keep up with me in the waves , against the tide and wind (says quite a bit about me too, and nothing good) . The short strong one can take the paddle board out to the middle of the channel and give her dad (in a kayak ) a run for it.. I'm told they're hell on a soccer field

Reactions: begreen
Hot here , but not too bad. AC was on till Sunday night
It's great that you are out in nature with your family. I love summer and being near the water.

Where is here? Is this home or on vacation?

I'm in North east Massachusetts , on the mouth of the Merrimack River. Here is plum island, a barrier island separated from town by a causeway and marsh. I'm full time, about 30% of the island residents are now full time, the rest are summer folk The bottom 4/5 of the island are federal preserve.

I launch from what's called the basin.. tides are 9 to 11 ', we have a two hour window around high tide to launch.. after that it's mud.

BTW..I'm not talking about the stuff that gets on the bottom of your shoes, I'm talking about one of natures serious efforts to take a healthy swipe at you to show you who is really boss, 4' deep if you are lucky, deeper if you are not. The only real option is to head to shore outside the basin and drag the kayaks in.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbelec
I haven't visited that area. Sounds like a very nice spot, just stay out of the mud. My sister-in-law is up in Marblehead. Our family 12 generations back helped found Boston.

If you get a chance can you add your general location to your avatar. It's helpful information to know when folks post about wood and wood burning.

Reactions: fbelec
It was a lake cottage weekend for us too. Swimming all day for the kids. Laying around all day for the adults. Good times. I do all the 'hard' work around the properties in spring and fall. Summer is for fun.

I relocated the service panel in my commercial building to the first floor after my basement flooded the first time. That way its just a tripped breaker if something in the basement gets shorted. Plus all the outlets are high up on the walls.
Yeah when i was working as a gc we relocated allot in sunbury and milton to the first or even second floors.

Its all behind us already, streams and creeks going down fast, even knoebels is already open for business today, but the humidity is crushing last few days. Im soaked within an hour of starting work even though its only around 80 degrees. I do have some inside work. whenever conditions outside become unbearable.
Yeah knoebels are pros at it they get flooded every few years

Looks like a record dry summer here. Over 100 days and less that 3/4" of rain. Weak trees are starting to keel over taking down power lines in some locations. This happened in the neighborhood adjacent to ours yesterday. Wildfire risk is very high and our water bill is going to be astronomical.

Looks like a record dry summer here. Over 100 days and less that 3/4" of rain. Weak trees are starting to keel over taking down power lines in some locations. This happened in the neighborhood adjacent to ours yesterday. Wildfire risk is very high and our water bill is going to be astronomical.

Sounds like you could use a shallow well;)

Sounds like you could use a shallow well;)
I wanted to put one in 20 yrs ago, but she didn't want to risk the expense. The likelihood of a shallow well hitting water is dicey on our property. Folks down the hill from us went down about 200ft for 2-3 gpm.

Your rain deficit must be our surplus.i cant even cut the grass lately , after a solid week of rain its thunderstorms every day or every other day.

Can't water trees. :)
Especially big ones. This fellow is dying. It's down to less than half its normal foliage.

redwood.jpg

Here we go again!

Were getting pounded here in Central PA AGAIN. Were getting the rain that the west isnt. NO danger of fire at all here.

Last edited:
a few giant pipelines from the east coast to the west coast outta do it

Reactions: vinny11950