im not messin around this year :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
So after a bit of a summer break, im ready for some hearth.com action. To start off the new season party i bought a splitter today, sure makes easy work of wet rounds, and rock hard doug fir. I got about a cord done this afternoon, only three more to go! Im ready for fall, hopefully that plow i bought last spring will keep me clear this winter.

On a side note. I sure miss the hearth industry, solar is fun, but its just not the same.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 848
Hey, welcome back Ryan! How's the family? Nice splitter. Gotta get me one.

hmmmm.... actually no. i think the problem was airflow with the plow installed. It hasnt acted up once this summer.

BeGreen said:
Hey, welcome back Ryan! How's the family?

Family is fantastic. Little Sophie is about 3 months old, and Madeleine is learning what the time out chair is already.. LOL. Its been a great summer. I have a great job, and a happy family, life is good. I sure have missed the forum, i needed a break after last season, but now im ready to roll.

MountainStoveGuy said:
BeGreen said:
Hey, welcome back Ryan! How's the family?

Family is fantastic. Little Sophie is about 3 months old, and Madeleine is learning what the time out chair is already.. LOL. Its been a great summer. I have a great job, and a happy family, life is good. I sure have missed the forum, i needed a break after last season, but now im ready to roll.

When they get a bit older time out can be replaced by splitting some rounds..... :p
Was most of that wood from those trees that came down in the yard?
I think the east coast is due this year, so that wood that you do have will have another year to season.....
Good to hear all is well....

That's great, Ryan - sounds like things are going pretty well there. Congratulations again on the new addition to the family, and hope you are settling into the new job - good to see you back. The plow and the splitter should make some of the work go much easier this winter (shouldn't have another overheating issue with the plow truck, I hope).

Glad to see you back for the season! It's good to hear that all is well with the family and the job.

It sure seems like you are off to a good start for winter: splitter, wood, plow, all that's left is to put up an emergency case or two of brew (just in case). ;-)

The first cord is from all green trees that were blown down last winter. There so wet, that water was literaly gushing from them today. They will be dry by march and april, its so dry here that wood takes hardly any time at all to cure out. I have tons of dead fall that willl be the bulk of the winter heat, and about a cord left over from last year that was buried under the snow. Last year was the first year that i kept my wood out side. big mistake, i will not be doing that again. This year its going in the garage, and the truck with the snow plow rig will be parked outside. It was a nighmare last year digging out wood on a daily basis.

Harley said:
That's great, Ryan - sounds like things are going pretty well there. Congratulations again on the new addition to the family, and hope you are settling into the new job - good to see you back. The plow and the splitter should make some of the work go much easier this winter (shouldn't have another overheating issue with the plow truck, I hope).

i will keep the truck under close eye this season. The other day, i saw a 37 year old land cruiser rust bucket with a plow attachment on the front. I thought it would be cheap. Guess again, they wanted 13,500. Crazy people around here.. must be the altitiude!

Glad you're back Bubba. Came close to calling to see if things were alright. Don't be playing bumper cars on that driveway this year ya' hear?

MrGriz said:
Glad to see you back for the season! It's good to hear that all is well with the family and the job.

It sure seems like you are off to a good start for winter: splitter, wood, plow, all that's left is to put up an emergency case or two of brew (just in case). ;-)

Ohhh man, i tell you what i have a basement FULL of beer ;)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

BrotherBart said:
Glad you're back Bubba. Came close to calling to see if things were alright. Don't be playing bumper cars on that driveway this year ya' hear?

Funny you mention that, i was just looking at all my dents today... thinking it was about time to get them fixed. BB, its always good to hear from you, if you ever want to call you have the number. Honesty, i have been working 70 hour weeks, trying to get a start up company up and running. With the two kids, the wife and the job, i kinda forgot about the internet all together. Now im prioritizing.

Is school still in the mix?

Good to hear from you again MSG! Got tired of the burning man avatar? :) Whatcha doin in the solar industry? PV is an industry that really interests me...yer splitter ain't bad either ;-)

Hi MSG,

SOrry you left the wood business. But solar helps save the earth too.

Keep us informed on what you do and what you learn, I bet there are plenty of people here that are interested in that too.

Niels

PS. at least with solar, we will not run out (in our lifetimes anyway).

I will start a solar thread in the green room soon. To say the least, its a challenging industry as far as stability goes, but our little company is installing 60 DC killowatts a month. Its serious business here in colorado. New Jersy and Flordia are not to far behind.

got wood? said:
Good to hear from you again MSG! Got tired of the burning man avatar? :) Whatcha doin in the solar industry? PV is an industry that really interests me...yer splitter ain't bad either ;-)

im not sure where my burning man avatar went, i spent some time looking for it last night. Im lovin the splitter, im on my way out to fall some trees now :)

MountainStoveGuy said:
I will start a solar thread in the green room soon. To say the least, its a challenging industry as far as stability goes, but our little company is installing 60 DC killowatts a month. Its serious business here in colorado. New Jersy and Flordia are not to far behind.

Please tell me why NY is soooo far behind on solar/wind!!! I'd sure love some insight. I poked Central Hudson Gas and Electric and got a nice long non-response.

Hopefully soon, there will be a $3.00/watt federal tax credit for 08, if that happens, it wont matter where you live :)

Only $3.00? That should really get the masses moving.

Seriously though, will that credit be off the top? Or will it be calculated in after AMT? If after AMT it's worthless to a lot of folks that could afford the system.

Its off the top, its a sizable chunk considering that installed systems cost $8-$9 per watt. Local rebates here are $4.50/watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.