I'm noticing a trend in NY.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whotheguy

Dec 22, 2009
Idaho
Forgive me as I don't know the area or what you go thru to get wood, but why do I see so many people in NY say they have to "scrounge" for wood?

Schools open, educate me.

NY is pretty diverse.

I'm on an island. The differance between Nassau & Suffolk counties is pretty wide. Peeps upstate are in the woods.

Need more input, to qoute Johnny 5.

I don't have to scrounge.

I got into wood burning to save money. If I started buying wood it would eat into the savings pretty quick. It's also a form of protest against the taxes NYS (or at least my county) has decided to levy on heating fuel.

Matt

scrounge (skrounj)
v. scrounged, scroung·ing, scroung·es Slang
v.tr.
1. To obtain (something) by begging or borrowing with no intention of reparation: scrounged a few dollars off my brother.
2. To obtain by salvaging or foraging; round up.
v.intr.
1. To seek to obtain something by begging or borrowing with no intention of reparation: scrounge for a cigarette.
2. To forage about in an effort to acquire something at no cost: scrounging around the kitchen for a late-night snack.

I certainly Do Not beg or borrow wood . My wood is seasoning away and not a stick of it was begged for. I bought a tractor trailer load back in march. I do however round up wood when one of my north country neighbors are hindered by it and ask for its removal.I have also been known to stop and ask the local utilities clearing lines if they would like me to haul it away instead of tossing it in the chipper. Lots of trees south of here in the 'park'

I wonder where/how you noticed this trend for NY people? Seems to me the overall trend of people on this forum is that most people regardless of location "scrounge". That said, I scrounge by choice, I could buy wood but wont.

i follow the tree trimmers for the utility. this wood is in eminant domain (spelling?) and up for grabs. sometimes homeowners come out and claim it, i just get in my truck and go away. There is plenty of wood out there, just have to be patient and diligent. i have been scrounging wood for about 30 of my 40 yrs, heating my dads house and now mine - cant beat free heat.

whotheguy said:
Forgive me as I don't know the area or what you go thru to get wood, but why do I see so many people in NY say they have to "scrounge" for wood?

So we can pay our taxes, forgiven.

zap

I'm not in NY BUT........Kind of a silly question don't you think?? Why would'nt you scrounge for it?.....It's FREEEE. Nobody has to scrounge, they choose to.

.....And it's all over not just NY.

zap[/quote]

+1 pretty soon we will have to pay tax on our taxes.

whotheguy said:

Simple - since 90% of this board is east coast, and particularly NE coast, the normal way of acquiring firewood is to make a phone call and have it delivered already split. Acquiring wood yourself - with your truck and saw - is deemed "scrounging."

I've never payed for firewood but didn't know I was a "scrounger" till last year.

I am in PA, not NY, but I scrounge because I want to. I don't want to pay for wood, I don't have enough land to cut much wood, so I have to find wood others don't want. Around here it is pretty rural and generally wooded with good hardwood, so scrounging is pretty easy even though lots of people burn wood. I have scrounged about 8 or 9 cords in a little over a year using only a Saturn SL2 sedan to move the wood, which means even when I find lots of wood, I usually can't take all of it even with several trips.

Another thing you might notice is that on this forum we tend to overuse the term 'scrounge.' I think scrounging is the act of securing firewood from friends, neighbors, strangers, family, etc., but shouldn't be used when cutting off your own land or the family farm. If you have steady access to woods where you can cut, that seems different than asking some guy up the road if you can have the branches that the power company trimmed from his trees. Maybe I am a self-righteous scrounger, if that is possible.

devinsdad said:

zap

+1 pretty soon we will have to pay tax on our taxes.[/quote]

Don't give Albany any ideas!

zap

devinsdad said:
scrounge (skrounj)
v.tr.
1. To obtain (something) by begging or borrowing with no intention of reparation: scrounged a few dollars off my brother.
v.intr.
1. To seek to obtain something by begging or borrowing with no intention of reparation: scrounge for a cigarette.
2. To forage about in an effort to acquire something at no cost: scrounging around the kitchen for a late-night snack.

I certainly Do Not beg or borrow wood . My wood is seasoning away and not a stick of it was begged for. I bought a tractor trailer load back in march. I do however round up wood when one of my north country neighbors are hindered by it and ask for its removal.I have also been known to stop and ask the local utilities clearing lines if they would like me to haul it away instead of tossing it in the chipper. Lots of trees south of here in the 'park'

When I said scrounge I wasn't referring to anything negative in any form, scrounging to me is just that, looking around for what I want.

I guess I should have clarified a bit more in regards to my post, is there not a lot of wood cutting allowed in NY due to say, private property, taxes or both? This would certainly make a person on the "look out" for wood.

Again, I meant nothing derogatory at all, I just didn't/don't understand.

I live in Idaho, and 75% of the state is public land so there is no problem with wood resources. I've never even been to NY, hence my question.

Thanks all!!

Robert

Wood Duck said:
I am in PA, not NY, but I scrounge because I want to. I don't want to pay for wood, I don't have enough land to cut much wood, so I have to find wood others don't want. Around here it is pretty rural and generally wooded with good hardwood, so scrounging is pretty easy even though lots of people burn wood. I have scrounged about 8 or 9 cords in a little over a year using only a Saturn SL2 sedan to move the wood, which means even when I find lots of wood, I usually can't take all of it even with several trips.

Another thing you might notice is that on this forum we tend to overuse the term 'scrounge.' I think scrounging is the act of securing firewood from friends, neighbors, strangers, family, etc., but shouldn't be used when cutting off your own land or the family farm. If you have steady access to woods where you can cut, that seems different than asking some guy up the road if you can have the branches that the power company trimmed from his trees. Maybe I am a self-righteous scrounger, if that is possible.

Wood Ducks post really clears things up for me, now I understand. The term scrounge, (East Coast version), basically translates into collecting or finding to us, (at least me), on this side of the country... ;-)

I'll get this lingo thing down, bear with me.

Robert

whotheguy said:
devinsdad said:
scrounge (skrounj)
v.tr.
v.intr.

When I said scrounge I wasn't referring to anything negative in any form, scrounging to me is just that, looking around for what I want.

I guess I should have clarified a bit more in regards to my post, is there not a lot of wood cutting allowed in NY due to say, private property, taxes or both? This would certainly make a person on the "look out" for wood.

Again, I meant nothing derogatory at all, I just didn't/don't understand.

I live in Idaho, and 75% of the state is public land so there is no problem with wood resources. I've never even been to NY, hence my question.

Thanks all!!

Robert

I didn;t take it negatively. I was just saying I don't beg or borrow wood. But I guess you could say I round it up-hence the 2nd definition. As far as I'm aware public/state land here is off limits to cutting. You can't even cut the down and rotten stuff. I'm not far from the ADK Park and resourceful cutting of trees for heat would be detrimental to the beauty of the area for the rich city folk who vacation in their 3 story 'camp'...But on another note clear cutting and chipping everything in sight to burn for power is totally acceptable.

Most of the wood I'm burning now came down in the ice storm last December. I didn't hit most of the places I normally would go to find wood. I normally go to the county brush dump. People take a tree down and dump it in the county brush dump. I drive up and load it in my truck. 2 weekends in the spring would get me a years worth of wood.

Matt

Those of us here that still burn wood, scrounge for it because
it's the only heat source you can legally scrounge for!
Can't scrounge for oil, NG, LP, electricity or pellets!

I live in Melville NY (Long Island) There are no woods to cut wood, if there are woods it's a park. When i here a wood chipper of a chainsaw, i go looking. If i see wood on someones front lawn i knock on the door. I've gotten more wood that way than any other way.

This is my second year using a wood stove and i bought 2 cords last year (it was supposed to be 2 cords anyway) and that was it. The rest i get from scrounging. I just got about half a cord of Red Oak a few weeks ago with about another cord to be gotten when we got over 2 feet of snow. That slowed me down a bit.

All the wood i'm burning this year i got and split. I have about 7 cords right now. What a great feeling!!!

Chief Ryan said:
I live in Melville NY (Long Island) There are no woods to cut wood, if there are woods it's a park. When i here a wood chipper of a chainsaw, i go looking. If i see wood on someones front lawn i knock on the door. I've gotten more wood that way than any other way.

This is my second year using a wood stove and i bought 2 cords last year (it was supposed to be 2 cords anyway) and that was it. The rest i get from scrounging. I just got about half a cord of Red Oak a few weeks ago with about another cord to be gotten when we got over 2 feet of snow. That slowed me down a bit.

All the wood i'm burning this year i got and split. I have about 7 cords right now. What a great feeling!!!

So, like me, if your were a lawyer you'd be an ambulance chaser :) It's listen for saws/chippers and scan Craigslist.

I guess you could saw that. It's not that hard to get wood if you pay attention.

Assume all land is either privately owned or Publicly owned.

In NYS we have two large 'parks' owned by Paterson & Co, we have some Nationally owned lands (NPS) and of course NYC has a large watershed area and its holdings are increasing every day.

All of the aformentioned entities have decided that we all should go without the resources found thereon, while we provide the 'proper environment' for the wildlife, etc. I think most people from Metropolitan areas of NY have no clue just how vast the ADK park is. I would dare to say that most of the publicly held land within that park has not had a human foot on it in 50 years.

Personally, my scrounging is because the land I own does not support my wood heat habit. So far the guy I scrounge on has been willing to let me clean up the tops from his last logging harvest.

Of course many peeps who are not from NY think New York is a city, not a state. So I'm guessing those peeps thing when NYr's scrounge they do it in Central Park. :lol:

Jimbo

Here in PA there is a lot of public land and firewood cutting is allowed on much of it, but for me it would be a 30 or 40 minute drive, then I'd have to find a place where there is dead, downed wood near the road. I could certainly do that, and it would't really be very hard, but on the way to the state land, I'd pass by lots of private land with lots of trees, and some of those trees are really easy to get to. Some are even being cut down right now to get them away from powerlines, roadsides, or for many other reasons. I enjoy scrounging wood that is destined to rot or be chipped, and I can get enough of it that I haven't had to find other sources.

In my experience when I lived there:

People in NYS feel they “have” to scrounge because everything else in NYS is subject to heavy taxes and regulation. There are many folks out of work due to the these policies, so folks have time to scrounge...

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.