importance: liner size vs. insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverstone

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
Northwest Michigan
Finally getting around to an install, and I'm lining a 15' exterior chimney, which I know is not ideal but I don't have any other choice at the moment (I may extend the height with a 3' section of metalbestos pipe if I can attach it to my liner top plate and then support it properly).

A few of my 8x12 clay tiles (ID 7x11) are offset, so I'm worried about it being tight for a 6" flex liner with insulation. I've been thinking about a 5.5" liner, but then again my chimney is only 15'.

So here's the question: would you say it's better to have a 5.5" liner insulated or a 6" liner un-insulated?

Or do you think, with an ID of 7x11, I can squeeze by with an ovalized, insulated 6" liner with insulation?

You can extend the chimney with a piece of rigid liner pipe if needed. There's no need to go to class A on top of the exterior brick chimney. What stove are you installing?

If at all possible I'd insulate as well. You can buy ovalized pipe and insulate it to meet your needs.

http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/ovalchimneylinerkit.htm

Will be a Jotul 602 that we inherited. It's just been rebuilt (from sandblasting on up). I had planned to buy a F100 or an F3 (as in earlier posts), but this allows us to tighten out belt somewhat and do the chimney and hearth right for a future new stove.

I may just gamble and try for an insulated, ovalized 6" liner, hoping it will fit. Seems like that would be the RIGHT thing to do.

Thanks.

You could always go with a pourable insulation after your liner is installed.

Re: pourable insulation, what type of material is it, and how much does it cost? I have a 15' chimney as well, but as we will be installing a 6" rigid liner in a 12x12" clay liner, teher will be lots of space / void to fill!

Just wondered about price difference between wrapped and poured insulation!!

WES - thanks for the link!!

In the end, I can get a sweep to install a solid stainless uninsulated liner for $500 (liner cost included) so I would like to look into either wrapping the liner, as he installs it, or pouring in material after, to fill the space. I doubt that I could get the double walled duravent without paying condiderably more $$. If anyone has experience with it / pricing, let me know!

re: poured in insulation, math errors possible, I would need about 12 cu feet of poured in, and would like to know what that costs!!

Check the liner system you will be using - some of them do not permit a loose fill insulation, some do. I was looking at Selkirk, and I recall they don't allow poured loose fill, but do have a wrap kit.

Each manufacturer has an approved process to meet the needs of their warrantee, as well as any code issues that may require insulation.

My recommendation - if the manufacturer isn't super clear on how to insulate it, look at another manufacturer. In the end, follow what the manufacturer recommends.

My liner was bought from Powermatic in Halifax, was made by TCE in Montreal, and I have been waiting for over two weeks for a copy of the instructions for insulating the liner to meet code, 'cause the manufacturer "can't find the file". I recommend you don't buy thier liner, as they can't even get me a simple instruction booklet. Powermatic hasn't even ever stocked or sold an insulation wrap. Yikes!

Northeaster1 - sent you a PM.

If you want to check pricing look here:

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/c...geNumber=2&c=66&v;=&sortBy=undefined&search;=

They seem to have the best prices I could find, (note free shipping). Looks like you can do your 15' chimney with dura liner for about $500.

Note, I don't have any direct experience with this particular product, I was considering it to reline my existing chimney but decided to use dura tec in a new location, instead.

Riverstone said:
Will be a Jotul 602 that we inherited. It's just been rebuilt (from sandblasting on up). I had planned to buy a F100 or an F3 (as in earlier posts), but this allows us to tighten out belt somewhat and do the chimney and hearth right for a future new stove.

I may just gamble and try for an insulated, ovalized 6" liner, hoping it will fit. Seems like that would be the RIGHT thing to do.

Thanks.

I think you'll find the 602 doesn't need a whole lot of draft. The stove is eager to burn. Keep a thermometer on it and watch the air or it may head north of 700 degrees in minutes. Once you get the routine down (and it will need feeding about every 2 hrs.) it's a very easy to run, but definitely not one to space out the air setting on.

One modification you might consider is the addition of a rear burn plate. The back of the stove doesn't have one and it can get hot there. I had a piece of heavy steel cut to fit the rear and bolted in with nuts as a spacers. It made a very big difference in the back temperature and the stove ran fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.