Importance of Thermometer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redburn

Mar 2, 2009
Southern Ct
I think one of the most important accessory for any wood burner is the thermometer , and was surprised when 3 of my friends told me they had bought incerts and had them installed and when I mentioned thermometer they said what for ...... I said to maintain a safe operation temp and protect your stove from warping..... they at no point did a dealer mention it to them. One guy burnt all his wood really fast because he ran it so hot broke a weld and a fire brick.... I have 3 on my stove and stack and use them as a guide on how to run the stove ..... To me they are a must....They all thanked me later and said there getting better and longer burns ...

Redburn I agree a thermometer or 2 is good to have....but not entirely necessary. We never had one until 3 years ago and we've burned wood for many moons. Just look at my signature line. But, since using the thermometer, now I'd hate to be without it.

Jags said:
You can run a car without a fuel gauge, but probably not the best practice.

I've pretty much said the same thing . . . running a woodstove without a thermometer on the stove and flue is like driving a car without a working fuel gauge or speedometer . . . sure you may be able to do so safely, but why take the risk when thermometers are cheap and an easy to add addition which gives you the knowledge to better operate your stove . . . and much like a speedometer and fuel gauge, once you get used to using a thermometer you will always want them and expect to have them with your next stove . . . or car.

Since we are on the topic, I do not have a thermometer, just had the stove installed. I am not concerned about the flue as it is a double wall telescopic pipe that did not actually get extended thus I have a 4 wall flue. But what would be considered a safe operating stove top tempature for the Summit? I plan on picking up one soon but not in a rush as the season is near over.

With a good load of wood, the Summit should run with a 500-700 stove top (under the trivet) temp. If the blower is running, then the stove top temp may drop by 100-150 deg.. That's normal.

BeGreen said:
With a good load of wood, the Summit should run with a 500-700 stove top (under the trivet) temp. If the blower is running, then the stove top temp may drop by 100-150 deg.. That's normal.

So, that would be considered a SAFE operating Temp? Don't mean to put you on the spot just wondering.

Backwoods Savage said:
Redburn I agree a thermometer or 2 is good to have....but not entirely necessary. We never had one until 3 years ago and we've burned wood for many moons. Just look at my signature line. But, since using the thermometer, now I'd hate to be without it.

+1

Last year was the first time I owned one. Now I have two (flue pipe and stove top) and an IR gun (the last word regarding temp accuracy). Fine tuning the system is infinitely easier knowing the actual temps. I'd never go back to the old days now, but if forced to, I'm sure I'd get by without ruining the stove or burning the place down. After decades of doing this, one learns to listen to the cues and eventually becomes a "stove whisperer".

Yes, that is the normal operating range for the Summit and quite safe. We see these temps all winter long on the T6. If the blower is running the top temp will be in the 450-550 range. For less confusion, try to get a stove top thermometer that does not have colored zones on it and is specifically for stove top use.

I have a Woodstock Classic in my studio. It's soapstone and there is no window to allow a view of the fire inside. I really do rely on the stovetop thermometer to guide me when to engage the combustor. I'm getting better with the "hoverilng hand" method, but there is no substitute for an actual temperature reading. I think a lot of people tend to rely a good deal on the "look" of a fire, but when you can't see the fire that method won't work and the "hovering hand" is a rather steep learning curve!

I do not have a thermometer. The only times I've had an issue with overheating would not have been prevented by one (walking out of the room like a dope). It would be nice to have, but I don't think it would enhance what I have going on right now.

example- a fire going for quite a while, at the end of a burn cycle, will give a warmer stove temp than the same temp fire just started. A fire coming up to temp from cold will be hotter in the box than registered- can shut it down a bit before a thermometer would say it's OK.

YMMV, of course.

Maybe someday I'll try one, but I don't have one. I pretty much know the stove by now. Trial and error has shown me where the damper goes, and when. The glass is the main indicator. I'm certain the thermometer is useful, and I'd never discourage their use, but I'm not in a hurry to pick one up. I don't have issues with creosote or overfiring. If you can point me to one that's not ugly for $10, I'll give it a shot.

I watch my flue temps more than anything else. When she's cruising along in the 250-300 range I know my stove is operating efficiently and not sending too much wasted heat up the stack.

Okay, since we are on this topic, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently had a Jotul Rockland 550 installed and I was wondering what the best location would be to put the thermometer? I have had a couple of small fires, but nothing large enough to cause me any concerns about over heating the stove.

I probably won't be having another fire until next season, so I've obviously got time to get myself a thermometer. Also, what recommendations does everyone have regarding the best thermometer to get? I would think that running the stove anywhere from 450*-750* would be adequate temps to throw heat and not over fire the stove. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks.

For me personally, it has/had the most value as a reference point when learning the behavior of a stove. I find now, after only one year, I can pretty much predict the stovetop temperature closely enough, and would make the same conclusions/decisions by just observing the fire as I would reading the thermometer. It was very useful in getting to this point, though. Plus, I like having it there to help my wife make the right decisions, since her natural tendency is to be conservative and want to underfire a stove. Especially a new non-cat with the "bowels of hell" view in the window when the secondaries are really cooking.

Follow-up question for the Jotul Rockland owners or anyone else who wants to chime in.

I've had a few small fires, but have not been able to get the auto fans to kick in. How big of a fire does one need to have for the auto fans to kick on? With a thermometer, what would be the approximate temp. to cause them to start running?

grommal said:
For me personally, it has/had the most value as a reference point when learning the behavior of a stove. I find now, after only one year, I can pretty much predict the stovetop temperature closely enough, and would make the same conclusions/decisions by just observing the fire as I would reading the thermometer. It was very useful in getting to this point, though. Plus, I like having it there to help my wife make the right decisions, since her natural tendency is to be conservative and want to underfire a stove. Especially a new non-cat with the "bowels of hell" view in the window when the secondaries are really cooking.

Great point grommal. I think it is the new user that benefits the most from having some metrics by which to guide the stove operation. However, as a seasoned veteran, I still like to see how the wood burning relates to the stove temp.

I think one of the most important accessory for any wood burner is the thermometer

Me too.

grommal said:

+1 on the thermometer helping you get used to working the stove and knowing what things are typically doing just by looking at the fire (although sometimes one can still be deceived)

+1 on the conservative wife . . . I will often let the temps settle in the mid-range, whereas she tends to keep the temps in range, but on the low-side

I recently ordered a Lopi Declaration wood insert. It is flush mount. There is no stove top or stack to attach a thermometer to. I that case what can be used for a thermometer? Are the "infared" thermometers accurate? Where on the insert would I get an accurate measurement of the temp? I could aim an infared thermometer through the "grates" and hit the top of the stove with it. Does that work accurately?

cos_man99 said:
I recently ordered a Lopi Declaration wood insert. It is flush mount. There is no stove top or stack to attach a thermometer to. I that case what can be used for a thermometer? Are the "infared" thermometers accurate? Where on the insert would I get an accurate measurement of the temp? I could aim an infared thermometer through the "grates" and hit the top of the stove with it. Does that work accurately?

Here is a post I made a while ago answering the same question: (see post #5)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49086/
This is probably the only way to get a flue temp reading on an insert where the flue is inaccessible .
I find having a flue and stove temp monitor /alarm is a big help, especially when you forget to shut the door or leave the aor open too long. :red:

Just picked up a magnetic unit. Hopefully it does the trick, just looking for a rough idea on stove top temp.

Todd said:
I watch my flue temps more than anything else. When she's cruising along in the 250-300 range I know my stove is operating efficiently and not sending too much wasted heat up the stack.
I was wondering about flue temp, does any one else do this and use the 250-300 range as a effieient burn range?

I was wondering about what everyone else runs their flue gas temps also. I just ordered a condar fluegard thermometer that installs inside the stove pipe. According to the directions the probe should be installed at least 18 inchs above the stove top and the flue gas temps measured by this thermometer on single wall pipe is approximately 50% higher than temps shown on stove pipe surface thermometers. The directions state that 400-900 degrees fahrenheit is the best operating flue temps for the most efficient wood burning without creating excessive smoke and creosote. It also states that a flue gas temp of 400 degrees or lower equals incomplete combustion , causing soot, smoke, and hazardous creosote . Resulting in clogging of combustors in catalytic wood stoves.

Is anyone else running this condar probe and what range are you running your flue gas temps in order to achive a good burn and prevent creosote build up?
I'm installing mine on double wall stove pipe and plan on keeping it in the 400 -500 degree range then inspect the chimney after burning at least a cord of wood , then go from there.

The unit I picked up is meant for a single wall flue but I used it for the top of the stove to get an estimate. I also got my hands on some really seasoned wood today and the combo makes for a different stove. I think I was being a bit timid with the Summit until today. I through in some nice dry wood and got the temp gauge just up into the middle of the Burn Zone and I was amazed how much heat this thing is capable of. Great combo, Dry wood and a good estimate on temp. I am happy.

Old Spark, if your listening, get a thermometer an let her rip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.