In Ground Piping Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
This is the Message I recieved after a conversation with Neil at Corbond. Heatlok is also sending information. After researching the permeability of the closed cell foams and combining that information with the manufacturers information plus Nolo's field experience I feel confident with the application. A good knowledgeable applicator is as important as the product for a satisfactory installation.

"CORBOND III will work well in this application. It will not decay underground. I have hundreds of lineal ft underground on my own property around waste lines under driveways, some of which dates back over 25 years. We dug some out to tap into a waste line several years ago. It was perfect. If the temps do not exceed 200 you will be ok.
Caution should be exercised during application to limit lift thickness (max 3”) so the core exothermic temp does not get elevated to where the Pex tubing is damaged. Spray a pad in the trench in lifts to your desired thickness and width, lay in and spray attach the Pex at short intervals. Then spray about an inch over the rest of the tubing. When this has cooled to ambient temp, add lifts of CORBOND to the desired finish thickness – both width and height. Be careful as the tendency is to have holidays under the pipe, and or where the tube may curl up or run close to the trench wall etc. Please call at 888-949-9089 if there are further questions.

Neal Ganser
Corbond Corp"

Yep, Lucas told me the same thing........

So, can you get Corbond as a DIY option? or something equivalent? If its been around 25 years, and works, I have a hard time understanding why it is so hard to get info about. I'd definitely be willing to try it if I didn't have to pay someone 3-4 hours of travel on top of whatever it costs to have the install done (I only need a bit of it).

Also, if you do have to hire it out - any rule of thumb to estimate cost?

MrEd said:
So, can you get Corbond as a DIY option? or something equivalent? If its been around 25 years, and works, I have a hard time understanding why it is so hard to get info about. I'd definitely be willing to try it if I didn't have to pay someone 3-4 hours of travel on top of whatever it costs to have the install done (I only need a bit of it).

I've seen different size kits available in lumber yards and hardware stores (not HD or Lowe's) but whether it's the same stuff would be up to the buyer to determine. I believe I remember one in a DoIt Best store last year that supposedly supplied about 200 cubic feet and was priced in the upper $500 range. At any rate, you would do well to examine the product very closely for suitability.

I usually use a rough figure of $9 a foot from the company I use. They charge a travel fee based on the distance but will waive it depending on the size of the job.

MrEd said:

$6.60/ft here in N. WI. Some sell at $1/ board foot- 12"x12"x1".

No corbond can't be DIY.... Once you see a corbond rig, you'll know why...... The equipment is tens of thousands of dollars... heck, the spray gun is close to 2 grand....

Now, you CAN get the DIY kits ad DoIt hardware chains... But, I'm sure the quality isn't what a name-brand like corbond is... Plus, when I looked into it, the DIY kit was the same price as corbond, INSTALLED!

My local corbond guy charged $.85/board foot (12x12x1 inches).... Though he said it might go up soon with the price of gas... That's a flat rate, no travel fees, nothing extra..... All figured into the product.....

Status
Not open for further replies.