In-line duct fan...please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raisinlib

Oct 9, 2013
We have our wood stove in the basement and use a hood with a single flex duct that attaches to a vent. We are finding that this just isn't cutting it and we need a fan. My husband installed a fan, but we started smelling burning plastic, so he removed it. Honestly, it's our first home and we're very new to wood burning. My question is, how do we know what kind of in-line fan to use and what temp rating should it have? I found one online at the Home Depot, but it's propellers are plastic and its heat rating is only 150 degrees. Any suggestions???

My first suggestion is that you post a picture of this setup in the basement. It sounds as though it just might be illegal and unsafe. You have a lot of learning to do before worrying about an in-line fan (that probably has no business being there). Rick

The burning plastic smell may also be from the flexible duct... Is there a reason that you haven't used hard pipe? Ideally, galvanized pipe and adjustable elbows are the way to go...30 gauge is sufficient.
I have never used the in-line fan to boost output from a pipe. I assume that the in-line fan you are talking about is a 6" diameter size?

If reality matches what my mind imagines this set up to be like . . . I would say it doesn't sound good or safe. Hopefully my imagination is just running amok.

Forget about the fan. Any kind of hood and ducting arrangement installed above a wood stove in a basement is probably a code violation and a safety hazard. Let's start with a basic description of just what this system looks like before we get into trying to make it "better". Rick

Pictures would really help a lot.

We found the source of the plastic smell...it was a piece of cut wire that had fallen onto the stove. We did have 6" rigid duct, but the fan fit better in a flexible duct, so this is what we have going on now. If having a hood/ducting in the basement is illegal and in violation of code, then why do people keep wood stoves in the basement? Pics to follow...

In-line duct fan...please help! In-line duct fan...please help! In-line duct fan...please help!

What is that heat plenum made out of? It looks like wood paneling or osb and fabric. This is not only in code violation, it's plain hillbilly dumb.

edit: Hey begreen, you obviously edited your comment since I last saw it so I will do the same. Do I sound and type like a total moron? Do you think we would allow paneling and fabric around a burning stove? Are you actually a moderator of this forum? Silly me, but I assumed this site was for people who needed help and to ask questions, not for ass-holes to call names and be degrading. I have 3 small children, so safety is very important here.

It is a heat shield (bought at a stove shop) that sits about 2 feet below the ceiling and 1 foot below the cross beams. The fabricated hood was made of thick aluminum sheet metal.

Last edited:
Those crap inline fans at the big box stores ain't going to move jack for heat.
Check out the one in the link I posted. I have two of them, they move some air.

I looked, thanks. That looks more like what we need. Do you think there is anything wrong with the set-up? Does it appear safe?

I can't say whether it is safe or not, your place, your call.
I would say make sure there are no combustible materials used in the set up, and def get rid of the flex duct. The fan I showed will connect to standard 6" rigid metal duct.
I would highly suggest an inline duct fire damper for added safety in case of a fire to slow spread of fire from the basement up through the floor.
I used them in my ductwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.