In-line fan toggling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubisz

Aug 11, 2009
Cortland County, upstate NY
I was curious if there is someway to have my in-line duct fan turn on when the furnace is off, but switch *off* when the furnace is on.

My inline duct fan (Fantech 6XL) currently uses existing furnace ductwork to bring cold air from remote regions of the house, and push it into the room with the stove. It currently operates 24-7. The issue is that when the backup propane furnace kicks in on those colder days (or when I sleep in past re-load time), it then steals a somewhat large fraction of the hot air produced by the furnace, and pushes it into what is already the hottest room in the house. I'd like this to work the opposite way!

Appreciate any ideas!

You'll need a relay. Wire it normally closed instead of normally open. Relats are cheap, less than $10.00.

realstihl said:
You'll need a relay. Wire it normally closed instead of normally open. Relats are cheap, less than $10.00.

Where can you find relays for cheap? I have looked for them for installing a low voltage programmable thermostat for a duct fan but have not found anything that cheap.

Squiner said:
realstihl said:

Where can you find relays for cheap? I have looked for them for installing a low voltage programmable thermostat for a duct fan but have not found anything that cheap.

Grainger. Part# 1N184. Under 10 bucks. They should sell to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.