In Need of Advice-Thelin Gnome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 18, 2017
PST
Hello!
New to the world of pellet stove ownership and I am having some troubles. My Wife and I recently bought our first home and it has a Thelin Gnome Parlour 3000. Just bought a pallet of pellets and the stove started to make a high pitched squeal. The sound isnt constant and occurs more frequently when the stove is in the Hi setting. After two weeks, two emails, and a few phone calls to Thelins awful customer service dept. I decided to take it apart. Found that there was no gasket on the motor housing so I ordered a new one and replaced the brushes. I checked all the electrical components before reassembling to make sure that I hadn't unplugged anything on accident.

Now the stove has a new issue. It makes a brief humming sound when I plug it in and there are definitely some weak motor sounds that vary. The oddest thing is that no matter what mode the stove is in(including OFF), its feeding out pellets.

The wonderful people at Thelin(winkwink) finally emailed me and they believe that the original issue is caused by the bushing holding the feed motor in place.

Any advice? I am confused and paying an arm and a leg running my baseboard heaters.

Thanks

Does the stove start and run?Does the combination motor run?Are the wires plugged in properly?Did you recheck to make sure you did not knock off any other wires?

When you plug these stoves in, the fans kick on for a few seconds and then off. Which might be the original humming noise that you hear.

Did the motor turn freely when you were done replacing the brushes? A common problem with these stoves are the bearings going out on the combustion side of the motor. Search on here for thelin and there is an awesome thread on rebuilding the motors and advice on motors and so forth.

I have no idea though on the issue of always feeding of the pellets?

BTW there is a Thelin Parlour 3000 (Which I guess you have) and a Thelin Gnome. They are 2 different stoves. The Gnome is a smaller version of the Parlour 3000. Not a big deal just thought that you should know.

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I checked all the wires and they appear to be in proper condition and fully plugged in. My initial thought was that the bearings were the culprit but the Tech guy at Thelin thinks its the bushing on the feed motor causing the original high pitched sound. Fan did spin when I replaced the brushes but it wasn't very smooth(would only rotate about a quarter turn before stopping). The combustion fan was pretty dirty when I took it apart, maybe I jammed up the bearings when I cleaned it. The tech info on the bottom of the stove says Parlour 3000 but there are gnomes on the stove ☺. I was told that the motor was replaced last season, so unless thats a lie it seems unlikely that the bearing are seizing up already....Thanks for all the input

fan should spin free,with just the resistance of the brushes slowing it down.Sometimes the armature will have deep grooves,and new brushes will hang up.

I agree with Bob Bare, that motor should spin freely around. If not I would start by investigating what is making it hang up and stop. Newer parts do fail as well.

As far as which stove you have, on the plate on the back it will list both the Parlour 3000 and the Gnome under the model number (At least mine does). There should be an X beside which model stove it is. In a way probably a moot point which it is since the motors are the same on each. But might be helpful for you in the future. Like I said the Gnome is a smaller stove than the Parlour 3000.

Take your motor out and try to get a drop or two of 3in 1 oil in the bushings on both ends of the armature. If that frees it up you will probably be ok for a short time and you can get a new motor

Last edited: