In the market for new stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I'm having a hard time supporting a certain manufacturer , Though my stoves have preformed impeckable.

Wanted a stove with a rear exit no higher than 26.5 Able to burn 8 hours produce 50,000
BTUs I would like it to be top loading Not the Everburn type technology Cat combustors ok . The manufacturer can’t have one single negative complaint on hearth.net in the past 12 months. No burn tubs faulty welds no cracked castings No history of broken welds. Color enamal a non factor Used ok as long it equals the condition of what it will be replacing

Must burn under 2 GPH

The second stove can be a top exit heating a zone less than 600 sq ft must provide 6 hours productive heating time Again it must come from a manufacturer that has not had a single negative post on hearth.com the past 12 months

Will a cherry red glowing or collapsible model be OK for the applications? Do you have a welder and know how to weld?

We need more information.

The Vogelzang Defender has a slightly better GPH rating than a Dutchwest DW2500. Would it be acceptable?

Lesson learned this winter is that it can still occasionally get damn cold in the Pac NW. And I need more btus to cover that situation. My list is small, due to clearances. I'll be giving a close eye to the Quadrafire Isle Royale. That may be my next stove. It burns at 2.9 Gph, but that won't stop me. I burn hot and will try to maintain it well. During stage one burn bans I plan on burning compressed logs to cut my emissions in half or better. The way I figure it I am burning a whole lot less fuel now, 2-3 tons less pellets to be exact. That covers a whole lot of gph. More important for me is the quality, 3 cu. ft. capacity, heating ability, and not to forget wife approval. Rear exit and top loading are side benefits I can look forward to. Oh, and it even has a mitten rack option.

I know that a used 3610 is going on sale soon, problem................ its in Illinois :(

Elk, you would be happy with this stove

Woodstock of course, or check out the Harman Oakwood with the grill option.

Todd said:

Harman oakwood 42,000 Btus and using the same technology as everburn and I think Harman has had a complaint or two the past 36 hours

is there a 50,000 btu woodstock with top of rear exit 26.4 or less Plus Harmans are cast in the same factory as the stove I want to get rid of also enamaled there too

Go ahead treat yourself, get a Summit ;)

26.5"? Who built that house anyway?

Hearthstone Homestead downstairs.
Hearthstone Tribute upstairs.

They dont meet the top load criteria, i think you are going to ahve to stick with VC because of the hight restrictions.. but VC doenst fit the bill, it looses in the complaint department.. but so does hearthstone. I think you better keep what you got.

Be sure to pull a permit and get it inspected :kiss:

elkimmeg said:
Hogwildz said:
Go ahead treat yourself, get a Summit ;)

Is a summit a rear exit below 26.5"
Hmmm just cut a hole in the back and relocate the outlet :)

elkimmeg said:
Todd said:

Harman oakwood 42,000 Btus and using the same technology as everburn and I think Harman has had a complaint or two the past 36 hours

is there a 50,000 btu woodstock with top of rear exit 26.4 or less Plus Harmans are cast in the same factory as the stove I want to get rid of also enamaled there too

Fireview/Classic are rated at 55,000 btu, and the Keystone/Paladian 45,000. The top rear exit on my Fireview is about 26 1/4". Don't know what the others are. No top loading, but side loading is nice.

Why are you looking for new stoves? I thought you were happy with the new Encore and rebuilt Intepid? Your just pulling our legs aren't you?

okay elk, explain yourself. What's up, why the need for new stoves?. IRS, SAD?, PMS!!??..

jpl1nh said:
okay elk, explain yourself. What's up, why the need for new stoves?. IRS, SAD?, PMS!!??..

This is a joke... and Elk's way of saying that no MFG is perfect, in light of recent welding and glowing.

Thank Gawd, I can go to bed now..I'm definatley way too literal!

In a way I feel that I would like to experience what other manufactures have to offer Not be stuck with the least popular one
I have the feeling i would expect if I lit up a ciggerett in a crowded elevator owning a VC product. There is no defense for those welds plain
shoddy workmanship. the type of workmanship I would never want to be associated with not the finish produce I would leave home owners.

Firts of all I have too much pride in my work to ever produce results like that. If I owned that dewlership that had these stoves the first I would is to pull them out bring them back to the shop and examine them. I would not be telling the owner to go find some one to repair my screw ups In the past 30 days Jhon Davinson correspondences have appeared within post each time they were ill advised and tactfully wrong to ever show up in a public forum. I have to ask what is this guy thinking then I start wondering how competent this guy is and he is the one these isues have to go through? As much as I have supported this company I'm finding it real hard to continue support. Maybe it is confined to the Century line? or even its insert model. I searched the net to find a schamatic to see if there is more to structual support than the shroud but I can't find any.. I have a century I going to install for the donor problem. I not feeling all that confortable right now.. You know it is not easy to see welds and spot failure prior to seeing no signs of such. It appears to be ok, but Im not putting 1000 degree heat in there day after day

Part of me wishes no one knew what stove I use on this forum there would be a lot less personal attacks. I have never heard of one issue with the Intrepid here. Again no issues with the Cat encore except Downeast having a problem back in the 90's but no modern stove issues that I can remenber
I have never heard a Defiant issue. One of VC worst mistakes, that led to the original owner having to sell his company, is when they bought out the tiawanese built Dutch west junk stoves ,in the late 80's

Maybe I will some day put all my thought down But I wish I had another stove or that I never revealed which stove I have.. I probably should stick to code issues and never recomend any brand manufacurer.

When I built this house I never planned past 25 years when I installed my stove. I purchased the stove and lined up the entry location. If I had a normal brick front though a bit or work I could relocate the thimble location Bit cutting threw 16" of granite fielld stone and masonry behind it Is not worth the work involved.. I do have a fireplace right next to the stove and I supose I could install an insert. My biggest problem would be where to run an electrical plug the wall associated with my setup is 12' long of granite field stone

Hey Elk. I still have a lot of respect for many products in the VC line and wouldn't hesitate getting one if it fit my installation needs. No welds in the cast stoves right? And I certainly wouldn't let a flaw in one line of a multi-product company turn me off to their good products. If CFM/VC responds to the weld issue with a timely response, then we can move on. Even Toyota can have a few bad issues, especially in it's low end products. I rented a Corolla once in Florida. The darn passenger window kept falling down if one opened it slightly. But that problem doesn't represent Toyota as a whole.

On the other hand. If you're a born experimenter and curious about products then I can see trying another brand. I have that weakness too. Sometimes it drives my wife crazy. I could have been a car tester in another life. I just love to drive all sorts of different vehicles. It doesn't matter if they're simple or fancy. They're all cool to me. Same thing with stoves. I like the Castine a lot, but am willing to upgrade to get the just right stove that will cover all my needs. My other half is not as willing, but seeing I do all the work, she's willing to tolerate my explorations.

FWIW, as much as I like PE stoves and have since before I came upon this forum, I probably won't get one due to the top exit only. I just can't get into having an offset in the stack if I don't have to have one. That doesn't mean they aren't a great stove, it's just a harder fit for me given the installation. But it's still on the short list of stoves I'd love to try. I sort of envy Corie. It's great to be in a test lab and try out all these options.

Elk, take it light.

You don't have to bury Ceasar or Praise Him. He will stand or fall on his own. I suspect the VC and Dutch are on the shopping list of many - if not most - stove buyers and the legend continues. If VC makes good products for a good price and communicates properly with their dealers and the public, they will succeed. If not, they may fail. Either way is not gonna be affected by our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.