Inches away from buying a Alderlea T5 Insert - so what is the hold up? what would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Den said:
Fred, when that ad for the insulation stripping mentions smoke, I think it's a reference to the good ol' "slammer" installs, where the insert vents directly into the masonry. If you have a full chimney liner, smoke wouldn't be an issue. The point is that the metal surround doesn't really form a tight seal on the hearth masonry. No smoke, just heat loss. Yeah, you probably wouldn't know the difference without doing a before/after comparison, but the same could probably be said for weatherstripping the front door of your house. :)

This guy I don't think is interested in making a block off plate either. But I will chat with him when he comes out Wed more about it.

Well, I'd at least get them to do the lazy "block off" mentioned by Mr. Green, stuff the damper with ceramic insulation. I don't see how they could refuse to do that. I think you could totally DIY the hearth bricks. I haven't done it, but I saw a Jotul insert installed on "This Old House." :p That hearth was stone, not brick, but I would imagine brick would be softer/easier than stone. They just leaned on it with a grinder, might've been a drill attachment. Might take a few hours, but I don't see anything very difficult about it. Start a new thread on this with that pic of your hearth. I'm sure someone here can give you a few tips.

Den said:
Well, I'd at least get them to do the lazy "block off" mentioned by Mr. Green, stuff the damper with ceramic insulation. I don't see how they could refuse to do that. I think you could totally DIY the hearth bricks. I haven't done it, but I saw a Jotul insert installed on "This Old House." :p That hearth was stone, not brick, but I would imagine brick would be softer/easier than stone. They just leaned on it with a grinder, might've been a drill attachment. Might take a few hours, but I don't see anything very difficult about it. Start a new thread on this with that pic of your hearth. I'm sure someone here can give you a few tips.

Den

You are in for the long haul on this thred - I love it.

I will start the masonry work once I get the "okay" on wednesday. The hearth to my mantle is 37 9/16" exactly the distance required for the T5. So I hope when he comes wednesday he measures the same way.

Good idea to start a masonry thread on what I plan to do - I might do that after wednesday (if I get the okay) and take a better picture of the situation.

Yeah, I'm more of an in-depth, case study kind of guy. . .some might say obsessive. :p I'd go ahead and start the masonry thread now. I think the pic you have is fine. The site gets more traffic on weekends, so you will get more responses and be ready to r0ck next week.

Den said:
Yeah, I'm more of an in-depth, case study kind of guy. . .some might say obsessive. :p I'd go ahead and start the masonry thread now. I think the pic you have is fine. The site gets more traffic on weekends, so you will get more responses and be ready to r0ck next week.

Good idea, i think I am still going to get a better picture, but start the thread tomorrow morning. I guess I could do it now, but in the upstairs bedroom on the computer having a scotch and reading hearth.com.

You're going to fit in just fine here.
"One of us. One of us. One of us." :p

Salud!

We count masons among our members. No telling what any of them are doing on a Friday night. Go ahead and post up. Just use the pic from this thread, and a precise thread title. . .something like "Best Way to Make Protruding Bricks Flush with Hearth?"

Den said:
You're going to fit in just fine here.
"One of us. One of us. One of us." :p

Salud!

We count masons among our members. No telling what any of them are doing on a Friday night. Go ahead and post up. Just use the pic from this thread, and a precise thread title. . .something like "Best Way to Make Protruding Bricks Flush with Hearth?"

I am on it - thread will be posted in next 10 min.

I am on it - thread will be posted in next 10 min.
Thanks for all of your postings as I'm learning so much from these threads as I sit in front of my fireplace watching all the heat go up the chimney while I evaluate the best wood burner for our 1,400 sq ft home.
Is there a reason you decided against the Enviro 1700 insert? Everyone that has posted gives it 5 stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.