1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Increasing efficiency of old smokey...

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by ozzy73, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ozzy73

ozzy73 Member

Loc:
    ON, Canada
    Guys I wanted to get your opinion on if its worth making some mods to my Heritage Cartier II to burn more efficiently. Currently the stove has firebrick on the bottom of the firebox and above the secondary burn chamber.

I am thinking about lining the walls with firebrick & ceramic wool and also adding a layer of ceramic wool ontop of the secondary burn chamber.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ozzy73

ozzy73 Member

Loc:
    ON, Canada
    Guys, any input would be appreciated.
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    If you like the look/fit of the stove and plan to keep it a while, then anything you can do to increase the efficiency is a plus. If you're going to trade it out in a couple years, then there is probably not much monetary benefit in adding efficiency at this point.
  4. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Greetings, If you can arrange a secondary air for the upper part of the chamber, if you don't have it already, that will make a enormous improvement.
  5. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    Ozzy, Like to see a picture of that stove. I was just wondering what size firebox was built into it.