Incredible Deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 24, 2017
Adirondacks
I dint want to post anything until it arrived becsuse i was skeptical it ever would. I bought this EFEL S33 on ebay for $899 plus $99 for shipping! Uhhhhmmmm yeah. Found it hard to believe myself. Ordered it on Monday and delivered Thursday. This is a beautiful stove.

I moved into my newly finished 2200 sq ft timber frame built with SIP panels this past February. Figured we would need a big stove do bought a Jotul F600 Firelight. Long story short way too much stove for the house. SIP panels are no joke as I have learned. I decided to downsize the stove to something more realistic for our well insulated house.

I always like the EFEL’s jacketed stoves but they aren't the easiest to find it seems. Very little info available on the internet. Can’t believe I got this lucky doing a google search for general info. The link for the item on eBay popped up.

Enjoy the pics!
A6489C69-D563-4628-AC2D-B3AEBDE28087.jpeg 8B7A01B1-1AE8-4D5E-A6C4-1D155D5217D7.jpeg F65606A9-1270-4970-B9FF-C2F542D2B5E2.jpeg 65FBF638-7C47-4421-BCC2-8E22B9308E8B.jpeg 9DC4C156-0EA8-4127-B48F-281C3D8335FF.jpeg A2C8C799-9D63-435E-AA8F-D74A8A78A6B0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are times when go big is not the best for the house, especially when it's superinsulated. Looks like you scored big time. That's a $2600 stove. Congratulations!

We installed the stove today. Going to wait until the temp drops to start burning for the season. The inside temp is hovering around 65 so not quite cold enough yet. This stove is much smaller than the J600F and sits much farther back on the hearth. I was affraid the stove would look small on the hearth but it looks good.

Attachments

• 0443111C-8128-44F8-BA62-5C971F7DEC1C.jpeg
    0443111C-8128-44F8-BA62-5C971F7DEC1C.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 469
Nice stove in a beautiful setting. It all looks great (except... there's no fire! :mad:)

Reactions: Threelittlefish
I just took a closer look at the stove and realized what a big window It has. I was just comparing it to my FP30 and its like yours is 4:3 aspect ratio and mine is 16:9 ? Looks awesome. That’s one nice stove. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, post more pic's of the house !!!!

I thought this was really helpful, especially when learning the burning curve of a smaller stove

Gorgeous house. I really love all the exposed beams and wood trim everywhere. It has a very warm and cozy feeling to it.
It lookslike you'll have no trouble staying warm with that stove. Nice job!!!

I've been burning the stove since November 1st on a daily basis... so 2 months now. The stove size is a perfect whole house heater for my well insulated (SIP panels) 2200 sq ft house with open floor plan (located in the great room). The firebox tapers in the back so does not accept full size 16" splits in the back. Cracked a side firebrick panel already. I'm thinking of getting replacements made from soapstone. The stove does not like to burn with the primary closed. This shuts off the airwash and the glass turns black. The fire mostly smolders with primary closed. It's my first cast iron jacketed stove experience and it does not feel like it throws off the same temp heat as the Jotul its replacing. almost all of the heat is radiated from the front of this stove. The Jotul radiated heat from all sides and the top. This thing eats wood. Turned down low with primary opened a little to prevent previously mentioned smoldering a full firebox of seasoned ash will be ashes and coals in about 2-3 hours. No longer burns without smoldering. The stove is very well made and operating it with the optional remote is a pleasure. No more getting up and down til you have the air set right. It's a really good stove. My only major gripe is the very short burn times. i would recomend this stove highly. For $999 delivered it's a no brainer!

The stove does not like to burn with the primary closed. This shuts off the airwash and the glass turns black. The fire mostly smolders with primary closed.
Does the stove have an outside air connection?

Last edited:
65? Time to burn, just a little... I promise, thats what I tell my wife, I like it 75-80 in the winter... On the other side of the seasons I love to run the ac down to 60-65 when its 80+ in the summer.

65? Time to burn, just a little... I promise, thats what I tell my wife, I like it 75-80 in the winter... On the other side of the seasons I love to run the ac down to 60-65 when its 80+ in the summer.
Your numbers are backwards.. ;lol
IIRC, Lehman's used to sell Efel years ago..

What did you do with the f600? did you sell it?

I've been burning the stove since November 1st on a daily basis... so 2 months now. The stove size is a perfect whole house heater for my well insulated (SIP panels) 2200 sq ft house with open floor plan (located in the great room). The firebox tapers in the back so does not accept full size 16" splits in the back. Cracked a side firebrick panel already. I'm thinking of getting replacements made from soapstone. The stove does not like to burn with the primary closed. This shuts off the airwash and the glass turns black. The fire mostly smolders with primary closed. It's my first cast iron jacketed stove experience and it does not feel like it throws off the same temp heat as the Jotul its replacing. almost all of the heat is radiated from the front of this stove. The Jotul radiated heat from all sides and the top. This thing eats wood. Turned down low with primary opened a little to prevent previously mentioned smoldering a full firebox of seasoned ash will be ashes and coals in about 2-3 hours. No longer burns without smoldering. The stove is very well made and operating it with the optional remote is a pleasure. No more getting up and down til you have the air set right. It's a really good stove. My only major gripe is the very short burn times. i would recomend this stove highly. For $999 delivered it's a no brainer!

They claim 10 hour burn times. Your only seeing 2-3 hours if I understand your post? Is that correct?

Last edited:
Still wondering if the stove has an outside air connection. Shorter burn times can be due to having to run the stove with too much primary air which kills secondary combustion. The usual suspect in that case is often negative pressure causing air starvation and/or poorer draft.

Reactions: Doc C