Incredible Deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still wondering if the stove has an outside air connection. Shorter burn times can be due to having to run the stove with too much primary air which kills secondary combustion. The usual suspect in that case is often negative pressure causing air starvation and/or poorer draft.
With the SIP panels, that house is probably tight as a drum, and the stove may perform better with an OAK.

Off subject question: Can you use an outside air connection to pull air from the basement or floor below to help with air circulation throughout your house?

Off subject question: Can you use an outside air connection to pull air from the basement or floor below to help with air circulation throughout your house?
The purpose of an OAK is to make sure there is not negative pressure being applied to the stove intake. Having the end of it in the house might not accomplish that. Having the end outside on the leeward side of the house may not accomplish that either.

Reactions: j.dhogg
I've been burning the stove since November 1st on a daily basis... so 2 months now. The stove size is a perfect whole house heater for my well insulated (SIP panels) 2200 sq ft house with open floor plan (located in the great room). The firebox tapers in the back so does not accept full size 16" splits in the back. Cracked a side firebrick panel already. I'm thinking of getting replacements made from soapstone. The stove does not like to burn with the primary closed. This shuts off the airwash and the glass turns black. The fire mostly smolders with primary closed. It's my first cast iron jacketed stove experience and it does not feel like it throws off the same temp heat as the Jotul its replacing. almost all of the heat is radiated from the front of this stove. The Jotul radiated heat from all sides and the top. This thing eats wood. Turned down low with primary opened a little to prevent previously mentioned smoldering a full firebox of seasoned ash will be ashes and coals in about 2-3 hours. No longer burns without smoldering. The stove is very well made and operating it with the optional remote is a pleasure. No more getting up and down til you have the air set right. It's a really good stove. My only major gripe is the very short burn times. i would recomend this stove highly. For $999 delivered it's a no brainer!
Awesome place, fish.

Now, I'm going to say what everyone else, including you, is thinking- The functionality of the stove as you describe it, aint great. Short burn times you mentioned, just not good, and sounds like you're not getting as much heat as you used to with your previous stove.

I'm hoping, as I think we all are, that an OAK can get that excellent bargain up to snuff.

If it won't burn with the primary closed, something is wrong.

We know you can figure it out, and would like to hear that your getting at least 5-6 hours out of it.

Well, I wanna ask if you have measured the moisture content of a freshly-split piece which has been warmed to room temp, but what you say about the load burning up fast is possibly telling me that the wood is plenty dry..