Indian corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thecornguy

Nov 4, 2013
New Jersey
Has anyone used this for fuel? I normally use ear corn with firewood in my eko 40. I had a bunch of seed so I planted 5 acres there is a lot left over from Halloween. The stuff is like blue corn only multi color. I sell yellow corn to a guy down the road for his corn stove and we were both curious as to how much heat would come out of it or if it would even burn at all.

You don't have anything to lose to give it a try? I don't see any problems

Reactions: bogieb
I think the number one thing is to high of moisture. Corn is best at or below 13% Really good at below 10 %. Pellets are around 6

I wonder if the btu value is the same as dent corn
Probably not, the stuff is for looks. Yellow corn is now raised for oil or sugar. Never even thought about white corn for Grits and chips.

Apparently Indian corn used to be used in fires, in the West. Okay, so that isn't the same as a pellet stove, but I would think if it is dried to the optimum moisture level, corn is corn as far as an appliance is concerned.

My Grandmother talked of using corn in the cook stove. I can only remember coal.

Make me some E-85 for my blown 427....

Status
Not open for further replies.