Indoor Stairlift in Unheated Gargage? Installer $ays that$ Extra.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I'm installing a stairlift for my dad whether he wants it or not. I've told him it's going to happen because I'm not taking care of the mess if he falls. We've had a couple over-the-phone quotes and two in-your-face quotes and everything is within $50 (go figure!) . Its a long stairwell so if I was going to do a craiglist special I'd still be on the hook for extra track and whatever else can go wrong.

The only thing hanging me up now is I've had two salesmen tell me an unheated garage calls for an outdoor model which is about $1000 extra (some charge less for the option but more expensive up front). I've had others tell me its the seat covering, buttons, some shrink boot on the wires is all that are significantly different but that the circuitry track and motor are exactly the same. The garage "never" gets below 32 degrees, which I'm guessing will never happen as long as no one ever leaves the garage door open, or pulls out and drives off without making sure the door closes.

Whaddya think? Roll the dice with the old man? I say go for it!

Like anything else in life these days, it's likely a load of bull crap. However, it would give them one less leg to stand on if it came time for some warranty based repairs. Pricing that close together means that there is likely very little margin in that area, or there are a small number of companies all just using the manufacturers suggested retail price. You could try a company from outside of your area for a competing price. Sometimes small companies will reduce their price to break into a new area.

Ian

BS, outdoor would get rained, snowed on, never happen n the garage. Go for it, it is inside by any definition.

I'm in the elevator business, but not these home stair track chairs. Have them tell you the differences. But sounds like BS to me.

Yeah it is a crock. I have two of them in this house for my wife purchased off of Craigslist and installed myself. The only thing that would be affected by cold in the garage is the batteries and the trickle charger will keep them warm.

Saved three grand apiece by buying top of the line ones off of craigslist. The sad fact it that the people folks buy them for don't last long or use them much, and the first thing the realtor says when they sell the house is "Get that thing out of here.". Makes for good used deals.

go with the inside model. I'm thinking the only difference is not beefed up for cold but its beefed up to deal with rain and snow and keeping the circuits dry. It may get cold but it wont get wet in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.