Induction Fan Repair?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by JP11, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JP11

Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

May 15, 2011
    I can't blame my boiler. All my fault.

I was cleaning the vigas, and decided to have a look at my smoke pipe. Just to see how it's running. I've had a couple of dirty burns, mostly from my own stupidity, so I wanted to check things out.

The easiest access I had was to remove the plate that held my inducer fan from the smoke pipe. I took it off.. and cleaned some ash out of the pipe.. it was worth checking.

Problem is... I DROPPED the dang fan.. and it smacked on the concrete floor.

When I reassembled the fan.. and went to start a burn.. when I turned the draft fan on.. boop! out goes the control panel. I found the small fuse I blew. Replaced that.. and found that there was a short in the induction fan. There is continuity in the fan with the hot and neutral lead. I pulled the casing off the electric motor itself... and can't SEE any damage.

So.. my plan is to now make a plate to cover where the fan will come off.. and bring it to a electric motor repair shop a couple towns over. Unless there is something little I'm not seeing.

FYI.. vigas has plenty of draft and runs fine. The way I've been starting fires.. the fan just helps a bit with the first loading to keep the smoke down. I probably could go without the thing if I just planned to never open the door during a burn at all. Start it and walk away.

But what fun is that? :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature

Helpful Sponsor Ads!