Information on this woodburning stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okarmo

Sep 3, 2007
Our old home has an older stove... a Lakewood Unicorn insert. Can anyone give me any information regarding estimated year, approximate purchase price, whether this is a good model that heats well (we never used because we had not had a chance to have inspected since we purchased the home). Also, any ideas on what would be a fair asking price if we attempt to sell this used stove locally? If of little worth, we may just have to give it away, but would prefer to first try to sell.

I'm attaching link to pictures of the insert- please excuse nonrelevant pictures posted on another site for advice regarding a future refacing project...

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11054082@N03/?saved=1

okarmo said:
Our old home has an older stove... a Lakewood Unicorn insert. Can anyone give me any information regarding estimated year, approximate purchase price, whether this is a good model that heats well (we never used because we had not had a chance to have inspected since we purchased the home). Also, any ideas on what would be a fair asking price if we attempt to sell this used stove locally? If of little worth, we may just have to give it away, but would prefer to first try to sell.

I'm attaching link to pictures of the insert- please excuse nonrelevant pictures posted on another site for advice regarding a future refacing project...

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11054082@N03/

Fixed the link. (and nice lookng house)

Looks like a decent insert for it's day. Probably a huge firebox, eats lots of wood, makes lots of creosote? Looks to be in fairly decent shape from the photos, but that doesn't say much about the inside, it would probably take a sweep to inspect and verify the condition (which you should DEFINITELY do before burning in it!)

However it is a unit that's day is long past - it falls in the category of what we refer to on the hearth as a "smoke dragon" These are stoves that burned well and were reasonably safe by their days standards, but are nowhere near the standards set by modern stoves. They will make heat, but burn a lot of wood doing it, produce lots of pollution to annoy the neighbors, and will leave lots of hazardous creosote in your chimney.

While they will sometimes sell for amazing amounts on E-bay or Craig's list, they have little value to experienced wood burners. In many areas they can be illegal to install, and can be restricted on use in some jurisdictions (you don't say where you are from, so I don't know if this applies in your area.

There is one thread on the stoves that I found, HERE that talks about the Unicorn, says Lakewood is out of business, but was in Brunswick, Canada during the 80's.

If you are considering doing serious burning, it would be worth considering replacing the unit with a more modern insert that burns more efficiently, and pollutes less.

Gooserider

Greetings. Where are you located? There are some Lakewoods in our area, but I suspect perhaps a different manufacturer? Or maybe they just made the long trip out here. Lakewood made some nice units and had one of the earliest low emissions stove with a cat. This model looks earlier and a lot like the Shraders. Built like a tank. But as far as comparing to current EPA standards, it's no contest. A modern stove will burn much cleaner and will use less wood. Stoves of this genre, in great condition usually sell from $100 to $300 in this area.

Thanks to both posters. I am located in southwest Missouri. We actually removed the insert yesterday- What a job! My husband and I managed to hoist it onto a 2-wheeler and the poor wheels are now suffering. I listed it on Craigslist today for $100, but no interest yet.

That is news to me that it is actually illegal to install in some areas, so thanks for that helpful piece of information. We have not tried to burn it. We tried to plug in the blowers, but then saw that the cord has been burned pretty severely so we are not sure whether it would even work. I also didn't realize that these stoves could put off harmful pollutants. If this had put out harmful materials in the past, will special precautions need to be taken in removing the pipe from the insert that still remains? (the pipe from the insert is comes down from our chimney, surrounded by what looks like insulation, and I 'm not sure of my husband's plan of how he will remove it- I'm assuming that this pipe does not go all the way up the chimney).

We were removing it simply because we prefer the ambiance of a fireplace without an insert. We definitely plan to have a professional out to check out the chimney before we ever build a fire. Our firebox seems really shallow to me and that makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks again for your responses...

okarmo said:
Thanks to both posters. I am located in southwest Missouri. We actually removed the insert yesterday- What a job! My husband and I managed to hoist it onto a 2-wheeler and the poor wheels are now suffering. I listed it on Craigslist today for $100, but no interest yet.

That is news to me that it is actually illegal to install in some areas, so thanks for that helpful piece of information. We have not tried to burn it. We tried to plug in the blowers, but then saw that the cord has been burned pretty severely so we are not sure whether it would even work. I also didn't realize that these stoves could put off harmful pollutants. If this had put out harmful materials in the past, will special precautions need to be taken in removing the pipe from the insert that still remains? (the pipe from the insert is comes down from our chimney, surrounded by what looks like insulation, and I 'm not sure of my husband's plan of how he will remove it- I'm assuming that this pipe does not go all the way up the chimney).

We were removing it simply because we prefer the ambiance of a fireplace without an insert. We definitely plan to have a professional out to check out the chimney before we ever build a fire. Our firebox seems really shallow to me and that makes me a bit nervous.

The pollutants are primarily fine particle matter emitted in the smoke. It is a hazard while burning it but there are not really any signifigant hazards while removing it and handling it. A dust mask is a reasonable precaution but not much to worry about in an unlit state. As for the fireplace ambiance, they are very heat inefficient and also fairly polluting. Todays inserts offer glass doors for viewing and very good fuel efficiency and heat output while generating very low particualte emissions. Many of the experts here might steer you to some great choices with a little additional info about your room/house size, insulation etc. Might hold off on removing the pipe too until you know what your options are. The existing pipe may or may not be suitable for a new, efficient insert that provides the ambiance you desire.

okarmo said:

Seems reasonable - good luck.

The problem isn't so much "what" the stove puts out as it is a question of "how much" it puts out - Sort of like cars - the new ones put out the same sorts of stuff, but just less of it. The stove and pipe shouldn't require anything drastic in the way of precautions - the creosote, which is the residue left by burning, is technically a mild carcinogen, so the suggestion of a dust mask is an excellent one, along with gloves, but there is no need for a "moon suit" or other drastic dealings - just try to contain the crud, don't breathe it, vacuum up afterwards and shower... Sweeps back in the bad old days of poor personal hygeine used to have a lot of problems, but reasonable cleaning and avoiding dust inhalation / ingestion wil handle it. Safety glasses are also an excellent idea on general principles.

As to the pipe that remains in the chimney - I wouldn't try removing it until you've had a sweep look at the situation - if it goes the length of the chimney, it might be re-useable if you put in a modern insert.

It is possible that what you have is a "Rumsford" style fireplace - these were arguably the best design for a fire place in terms of heating ability, and were characterized by a very shallow, but fairly wide and tall firebox that was designed with the intent that the logs be stood on end and leaned against the back wall to burn. This was supposed to increase the radiant heat output of the fire, and improve the burning efficiency. Whle better than a conventional fireplace, they are still quite inefficient, and can lead to a net heat loss.

One thing that you may discover is that your chimney was modified when the insert was installed, and can no longer be used as a fireplace, or at least not without expensive repairs.

I would agree with the earlier comment about a modern insert being good for having the ambiance of a fireplace, due to their large glass doors. Some can be run with the doors open at a reduced efficiency, so you can get the best of both worlds.

Gooserider

Burning an open fire in the fireplace will most likely be more polluting than the stove if it was run correctly. And it will be much less efficient. If you like the open fire, maybe consider installing a nice insert that will give you the best of both worlds, that is a good efficient heater with a nice fireplace view.

okarmo said:

No expert here, but lets no go overboard with the "harmful pollutants" and "harmful materials". Have you ever had a campfire or used a fireplace, a barbeque, a Yankee Candle? Burning is a dirty business. The new stoves are supposed to burn cleaner and more efficiently. But, in twenty years folks will be thumbing their noses down at our "modern" smoke dragons.

If you've no plans to heat your house and just use you fireplace for occasional ambiance, which is perfectly fine, then I wouldn't worry about getting another insert. However, If you're interested in trying to save on your heating bill and don't mind the extra hassle (emptying stove, tending fire, splitting wood, etc) then a new insert might make sense. You won't loose much ambiance they typically have large glass viewing areas. Most have optional screens you can pop in to get more ambiance. I.e. crackling sound.

BTW, really nice house. Perfect size. I bet you could easily heat it with a nice insert.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone. No plans to buy another insert as we really do not need it to help heat the house (although it would have been nice this past winter when an ice storm left us without power for 11 days- thankfully, we were able to use a generator). We primarily wanted to remove the insert to take the formal living room of our 1920's home a little closer to how it might have originally appeared. Too bad the old brick fireplace was bricked over at some time in the past... oh well.

All the information was helpful and I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.