Infrared gun showed me two things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Picked up a IR gun today. First found out I my stove top thermometer was not on the hottest part of my Quad stove. I was towards the front which was a 150 degrees cooler than the hottest spot, which is right before the stove steps up, towards the pipe. Also shot the stove top right next to my Rutland thermometer once it was reading 600 degrees. There was less than 10 degrees difference, between the two readings, stove gauge showing 6 degrees lower than the IR gun.

Reactions: rwhite
I don't even have a stove top thermometer anymore. I have a gun that reads up to about 750*, when the display goes to dotted lines I know I'm too hot. :)

xclimber said:
Picked up a IR gun today. First found out I my stove top thermometer was not on the hottest part of my Quad stove. I was towards the front which was a 150 degrees cooler than the hottest spot, which is right before the stove steps up, towards the pipe. Also shot the stove top right next to my Rutland thermometer once it was reading 600 degrees. There was less than 10 degrees difference, between the two readings, stove gauge showing 6 degrees lower than the IR gun.

That's one of the more accurate stove thermometers I've seen, then.

BrowningBAR said:
xclimber said:

I was surprised myself. IR gun is a Cen-Tech. Was 49 dollars on sale for 39 at Harbor Freight. Has a range of -4 to 958 F.

zapny said:
rdust said:
I don't even have a stove top thermometer anymore. I have a gun that reads up to about 750*, when the display goes to dotted lines I know I'm too hot. :)

On the IR thermometer I just bought (EXTECH) compared to the stove top thermometer it takes longer to get the true temp, so if I was hitting 750 on the IR and not using a stove top thermometer I would be over firing the stove.

Zap
Yikes :ahhh:

xclimber said:
zapny said:
rdust said:

On the IR thermometer I just bought (EXTECH) compared to the stove top thermometer it takes longer to get the true temp, so if I was hitting 750 on the IR and not using a stove top thermometer I would be over firing the stove.

Zap

Just went down and tested it again and it gave the correct reading instantly. When it came out of the package it was set for celsius and that is when I took the reading on the stove top. The next reading I took was on the inside of the window and it read 15.6 thats when I realized it was set on celsius so I switched it over to fahrenheit, sorry for the scare.

Zap

zapny said:
xclimber said:
zapny said:
rdust said:

Zap

Just went down and tested it again and it gave the correct reading instantly. When it came out of the package it was set for celsius and that is when I took the reading on the stove top. The next reading I took was on the inside of the window and it read 15.6 thats when I realized it was set on celsius so I switched it over to fahrenheit, sorry for the scare.

Zap
Bet the stove feels a little better now ;-)

xclimber said:
zapny said:
xclimber said:
zapny said:
rdust said:

Zap

The actual stove top temp was 600, I was using 750 for a example. We burn between 600-650 on the stove top the majority of the time.

Zap

Zap

zapny said:
xclimber said:
zapny said:
xclimber said:
zapny said:
rdust" date="1296884499 said:

Zap

The actual stove top temp was 600, I was using 750 for a example. We burn between 600-650 on the stove top the majority of the time.

Zap

Zap
The Quads at 600 right now. Seems to be the sweet spot.

That seems to be the Liberty's also, 22 degrees tonight so we don't have to burn real hot. That -30 below weather we had the wood stove was going along with the pellet stove, 83 in the basement and 70 on the main floor. (Ranch House)

Zap

zapny said:
That seems to be the Liberty's also, 22 degrees tonight so we don't have to burn real hot. That -30 below weather we had the wood stove was going along with the pellet stove, 83 in the basement and 70 on the main floor. (Ranch House) 1840's farmhouse here. Was all reinsulated before we bought it. Nice having another heater when it gets that cold. Going to be adding a wood cookstove to an area off the kitchen for next winter . That should keep the other end of our house toasty while cooking at the same time. My Quad bougth new had some issues. My dealer offered to take it back and swap me out for a Lopi Liberty. After getting the Quad into the house,I didn't feel like hauling it back out again. So I got the right parts for my new stove and kept the ball rolling. Liberty looked like a nice stove also. Seems to be working well for you Zap.

Zap

I wonder if it's on sale at all Harbor Freight stores? I could use on. I don't know if I trust the magnetic one that I have right now.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but what temps do you guys get worried at, i.e. too hot on the stove top? I can't get to my stove top so it's on the stove face, upper LH corner. I can almost hit 725-750 at will with a 3/4 load, blower on high, draft control totally shut. Maybe I should start "another" how hot is too hot thread?

On the stove top the highest we like to go is 675 maybe 700 if it's real cold. The flue temp (magnetic thermometer, stove top also) 500. The flue temp is taken off of single wall pipe that goes into double wall thimble.

Zap

herdbull said:
I wonder if it's on sale at all Harbor Freight stores? I could use on. I don't know if I trust the magnetic one that I have right now.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but what temps do you guys get worried at, i.e. too hot on the stove top? I can't get to my stove top so it's on the stove face, upper LH corner. I can almost hit 725-750 at will with a 3/4 load, blower on high, draft control totally shut. Maybe I should start "another" how hot is too hot thread?
Quadra-Fire factory reps told me 675 max cruise temp. 700 for a short run. Check in your stove owners manual, or call the people who made the stove.

Nothing in the mnual about max temps and the Naploean website has zilch for phone #'s. I tried a local supplier but didn't get a call back today. Doubt they would be able to rattle off that info anyway. 750 has me a little concerned as I usually load it up good, blower on med, draft shut down and head for work. But after seeing these temps I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

It's a small stove to start with and if I can only load it half way up it kind of defeats the purpose. I dunno (shrug). I'll try and track down a # for Napoelan.

herdbull said:
Nothing in the mnual about max temps and the Naploean website has zilch for phone #'s. I tried a local supplier but didn't get a call back today. Doubt they would be able to rattle off that info anyway. 750 has me a little concerned as I usually load it up good, blower on med, draft shut down and head for work. But after seeing these temps I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

It's a small stove to start with and if I can only load it half way up it kind of defeats the purpose. I dunno (shrug). I'll try and track down a # for Napoelan.
Did you ever check your door gasket while the stove is cold, with a sheet of paper. Maybe your drawing air in around your door gasket. Door's maybe not closing tight enough.

BrowningBAR said:
xclimber said:

+1
I borrowed an IR gun from work a week after I put the Rutland on my Quad 4100i and the exact same results. As accurate as a spring thermo can be, it was spot on. So much for reinventing the wheel ;)

Thanks Xclimber. I'll do that when I get back from work today. Stove should be to around 125-150 by then. It isn't even a year old so I guess I haven't gone down that route yet but it's definitely worth checking. I will swing by the local HF on my lunch break today and see what they have.

QuadForLife said:
BrowningBAR said:
xclimber said:

+1
I borrowed an IR gun from work a week after I put the Rutland on my Quad 4100i and the exact same results. As accurate as a spring thermo can be, it was spot on. So much for reinventing the wheel ;)
I was really surprised how accurate the Rutland thermometer was myself, after comparing with the IR gun.. At times it looked to be like you said , dead on to within 5 degrees. Pretty amazing for a spring.

herdbull said:
Thanks Xclimber. I'll do that when I get back from work today. Stove should be to around 125-150 by then. It isn't even a year old so I guess I haven't gone down that route yet but it's definitely worth checking. I will swing by the local HF on my lunch break today and see what they have.
Just something I thought, easy to check.

My rutland T Stat is so far off that it's not even useful as a T Stat. I don't really use it anyhow though, so not too concerned.

Found the cen-tech IR gun - $23 at HF after 20% coupon - the reviewers were right - once you get it...you'll be shooting things all over the house to find the cold spots.
As for the stove - I'm surprised to see my stove also has hot spots and are of course not located where I had the stove top thermometer. I was surprised to see the magnet thermo's fairly accurate - except when temps start coming down they tend to not read accurately on the way down.
The IR gun is pretty accurate - I tested it on a pot of water on the range and it was 210-212 when the water was boiling.

FYI - I was in HF yesterday and they handed me the flyer for the upcoming "after Thanksgiving sale" (Nov 25 - 27). It shows the Centech Infrared Laser thermometer on sale for $19.99 (Reg. $59.99). I think I'm going to wait and pick one up then...

Keith

I found out this morning that my ir gun only measures up to 600 degrees..
That ain't gonna cut it...it must be a cheapo one >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.