Infrared gun showed me two things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been happy w/my Fluke 62. Temperature range from -30º to 500ºC (–20º to 932ºF).

Found my Rutland burn indicator off by 100 degrees, on my stove top, using my infrared gun. Was actually indicating 100 degrees higher than the actual IF reading. Good news is I can run the stove hotter. I've since ordered an accurate surface temp gauge from PTC instruments. Was 36 dollars but should show me a more accurate reading over a 15 dollar gauge.

My Rutland #701 is off by about 35F at point of placement, it says 750F and IR gun pointed right next to it says 715. This stove runs very well right at about 700F, fully damped down. If I damp down below 650 it seems that the decay back below 600F happens more quickly. Granted this is based on three burns now...we'll see how it behaves when it's really cold out.

steve

We should have a loaner club for IR guns. I used mine maybe once or twice a year and only to confirm that my 30 yr old Sandhill thermometer is still accurate within 10 degrees, or to give heath.com readers my wall or stove side temps.

herdbull said:
I wonder if it's on sale at all Harbor Freight stores? I could use on. I don't know if I trust the magnetic one that I have right now.

I posted on this site a week or so ago about a sale at Harbor Freight through Oct. 31. Search the "gear" forum for Harbor Freight.

Live Oak said:
FYI - I was in HF yesterday and they handed me the flyer for the upcoming "after Thanksgiving sale" (Nov 25 - 27). It shows the Centech Infrared Laser thermometer on sale for $19.99 (Reg. $59.99). I think I'm going to wait and pick one up then...

Keith

Get there when they open the morning of the 25th. Most of the time they only have 3 of the sale item on the shelf.

Blue2ndaries said:
I've been happy w/my Fluke 62. Temperature range from -30º to 500ºC (–20º to 932ºF).

500 degrees max reading for a wood stove? Why bother?

Kenster said:
Blue2ndaries said:

Kenster...I said the same thing to myself then I noticed it was 500° celsius... :red:
:lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
Kenster said:
Blue2ndaries said:

Kenster...I said the same thing to myself then I noticed it was 500° celsius... :red:

:lol:

Oops. Missed the 'celsius' part. Big difference! 500 F would be pretty much worthless!

Status
Not open for further replies.