Input on wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capetownkg

Oct 31, 2012
Southern Maryland
I have posted on here before and have pretty much decided on a osburn 2400 insert. I attached a horrible set of drawings of my house. Sorry im not an artist. The house is 2100 sqft., built in 1987 still has original windows and is fairly well insulated. Chimney is 25-30 ft fairly open downstairs with the stairs pointed directly down to the fireplace. Anyways just wanted to know your thoughts before i pull the trigger on the osburn 2400. Thanks for any advice either for or against. I just want to make the right decision. Oh and I live in southern maryland. By no means bitter cold but we get our share of temps in the teens and twenties during the winter.

main floor
20130606_212414.jpg

upstairs
20130606_212446(0).jpg

If that's what you want I would definitely get it, I love mine and wouldn't trade it or the world...image.jpg [ATTACH103898[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 120
No need to apologize for the floorplan, that works fine. It looks like you will get decent convection throughout the house. The Osburn 2400 should do the job for you.

Do you think that a fan pointed up the stairs would get some heat up there? Im not to worried about getting a ton of heat up there my wife and I tend to like it cooler when we sleep but just curious about circulating the heat.

It may be unnecessary, heat will try to convect upward if possible. I'd try it without first. We don't need one in our house.

Do you think that a fan pointed up the stairs would get some heat up there? Im not to worried about getting a ton of heat up there my wife and I tend to like it cooler when we sleep but just curious about circulating the heat.
Medium sized inserts are space heaters, not house heaters, just an FYI. You will have to have certain expectations as you shop for whatever unit you decide to, hopefully you will get the right guidance as you buy.

A small table fan on the floor blowing from the kitchen towards your man cave will help even out the heat on the first floor. As the warm air is pulled past the stairwell a little extra heat will make its way upstairs.

I, like RAM 1500, have a Montpelier. It is about 1.5 CF and has enough capacity to heat my 1,600 sf main floor. The Osburn 2400I has twice the capacity and should be plenty to heat your 2,100 sf especially in southern Maryland...

KaptJaq

The osburn 2400 has a 3.2 cubic ft firebox and says up to 2700 sqft in heating. Im taking the manufacture claims with a grain of salt but you think I need bigger then that?

The osburn 2400 has a 3.2 cubic ft firebox and says up to 2700 sqft in heating. Im taking the manufacture claims with a grain of salt but you think I need bigger then that?

I think I answered your question as you were asking it.... (see above)

The Osburn 2400I should be plenty for you. Just remember to insulate you flue and put a block-off plate.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Capetownkg
Yea right as I was asking I got the email alert. Thanks. I plan on insulating the flue and got a great link to block off plates from begreen on an earlier post

That's a nice floor plan for wood heat. I like it.

If needed, a fan at the top of the stairs blowing down should really help circulate the heat.

I think you will be good with that if you really want to heat with wood, that is double the size of mine....

Status
Not open for further replies.