Insert blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More so than a free standing stove. The radiant heat is not as great since most inserts are partially recessed into the fp opening. I don’t think I’ve ever ran my insert without the blower

A flush insert is going to be less radiant than one that has a portion projecting out onto the hearth. Heat output with the fan off also depends on the insert design. Some convect naturally better than others.

When in doubt, follow the manual's instructions. If it says the blower must be on, then do it.

I always turn on the blower when I have a bright fire burning in my wood insert. It make me feel more comfortable. Even a not very hot burn can make the blower housing in my insert pretty hot if the blower is not on. I have seen temp over 200F and climbing. I am not sure how hot the blower can tolerate; it is electrical so I don't think it likes a very hot place. Turning on the blower at least protect the blower itself; if not protecting the whole insert from overheating to some extent.

Always run the blower, usually on low.

The PE front extends. When the blower crapped out, and I had to wait for a new one, I placed a small circular fan to blow across the front of the glass. Got some really decent results.

Always.

Once my insert is up to temp the blower is on low until I reload. I believe my manual stated to run the blower.

Reactions: Chuck Pearson