Insert Chimney cleaning tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenc0322

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2011
long Island NY
I have a Harman Accentra insert with a zero clearance box. I have a 3 inch stove pipe that runs directly from the stove through the zero clearance box up 6 feet through the roof of my garage and extends past the roof 3 feet. i bought a soot eater brush with the extensions so i can brush it from the roof. I was wondering if i need to pull the stove out or if i can brush the pipe with the stove in place. I have two 45degree bends in the stove pipe so i dont think brushing it will be a problem just not sure if i need to remove the stove and block off the pipe so no dust goes back into the stove or just brush it and then use the leaf blower trick from the top to remove all the ash?i am going to try and add a picture of the zero clearance box from the back
thanks

Attachments

• harman garage.jpg
    harman garage.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 143
I pull my M55 out (it's on casters and rails) and have my brother in law hold the vac at the bottom while I brush from the top. If not, I would have a huge pile of ash collecting in my exhaust at the bottom but not sure about the Harman design. I know this is of NO help to you but I'm bored and felt like responding. Maybe LBT would be easier? I just don't have an electric blower yet but had the brush lying around from my dryer.

thanks for the info though i feel i am better off pulling it out too but i guess i am just being lazy lol i made a rail system out of kindorf for my stove harman wanted 200 for the rail system

My dealer wanted 89. I'm super cheap so I just roll it out onto the floor right until the last wheel is about to come off the rails. Then I just have to lift it up a little to get the front wheels back in the base. Maybe someday I'll buy the rails but probably not. I have buddies with lots of muscles and not so many brain cells so it's easy to convince them to help me pick that monster up and slide it back in. I may steal a piece of flat iron from one of the shops I work in this week to make it a one man job but for now...screw it. Easy enough.

i am an electrician and i use kindorf at work so i made it myself my stove is 6 inches off the floor so i made a rail to take it out 4 feet it works great. I can slide it out and clean behind it with no problem. I first made it out of wood but it did not slide to good DUH heavy metal sliding on wood. this works better

I just bought and used the Rutland pellet stove cleaning kit and a 3" brush with the ball on the end. I have three 45° bends to clear. Tried doing it by hand and no go. Chucked the end into a drill and spun it slowly and it went right down. Added extensions as necessary to make it down to the T. MAKE SURE you spin the drill so it tightens the assembly as you're spinning. This includes when you're backing it out. DON'T FORGET or you'll be sorry. Once you clear the bends you can simply run it back and forth. I suppose you could keep it spinning slowly the whole time but not sure if it's necessary. I didn't wanna push it and risk snapping anything.

It's ready for the leaf blower trick. Unfortunately, it's dark out so I won't get to enjoy the full effect ;)

Reactions: glenc0322
The soot eater system I bought came with an adapter that fit over the pipe and attached to my shop vac the rod simply slid through it. It worked great! Times change and now it is easier to pay smwilliamson to clean and service both my stoves.

Stove needs pulled out. Ash will drop into exhaust fan and clog it up. It usually needs pulled just oncxe per year to clean fan, feeder ect.

I figured that so if i brush it i will pull it out and plug it up or add a shop vac to catch the ash and in between brushings i can do the leaf blower trick but need to add a filter to the blower i am not a big fan of blowing the soot all over

I figured that so if i brush it i will pull it out and plug it up or add a shop vac to catch the ash and in between brushings i can do the leaf blower trick but need to add a filter to the blower i am not a big fan of blowing the soot all over

You'd need a gigantic filter to catch what is likely gonna come out and when the filter blows out yer gonna look like a Mt St. Helens survivor.

Do it on a breezy day when the wind direction is towards the woods...or your neighbors house. The leaf blower is going to disperse it very well. Don't forget the wind direction.....although in all likelihood, it'll change EXACTLY like when you're standing in front of a campfire or running a snowblower. When that happens MAKE SURE you yell and curse at the wind. It makes for a better show for the neighbors.

I live on Long Island no woods and will try it and see what happens and take some pics i am sure my neighbors will love it lol but too bad

You could always do it just before dark if you think they're gonna get touchy due to their proximity.

no right in the middle of the day works best

I let my pipe out form the bottom. It's messy. I try to capture it in the firebox as best i can, but i do cover my tv stand with a sheet and wear an n95 mask. meanwhile the ash vac is running trying to suck up as much as it can as it comes down as i shake/bang/scrape/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.