insert/combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I'm about to install my first insert. I have a cultured stone fireplace surround. I believe the cultured stone was installed on 1/2'' sheet rock with wire lathe. In the past if I burnt a hot fire for 8 to 10 hours the stones just above the fireplace opening got pretty warm. Do I have an issue with the stone over heating the dry wall directly above the insert? Thanks for all the help this site can literally be a life saver. Ken

your manual should give you all clearances to combustibles.. standard drywall is a combustible because of the paper.

yes there is 2 X 4 construction behind the drywall. In the manuel I see all the distances to combustibles but, nothing about wall thickness, etc. I know the insert temps are higher than the fireplace. I just don't know if the heat produced gets directed back towards the masonry wall.

Note, this is a prefab fireplace. The drywall and studs are the nearest combustibles.

Which insert did you end up choosing? Can you post some pictures of the current fireplace setup? There may be other areas that need consideration.

This is a pre-fab. I will post some photos later today. I bought a Hearthstone Clydesdale and I'm in no rush. I want a safe install for years. I've been burning the fireplace for 12 years. Never a hint of a problem. I'll be installing a new insulated 6'' liner next weekend and have done a lot of preliminary work this weekend. In photos I see the fan cords sitting unprotected on the hearth. I've wondered about the insulation melting. On a unit like the Clydesdale, where does the majority of the heat come off the unit? thank you, Ken

This is a photo of my existing set up. I will be installing a mantle shield. I'm concerned about the sheet rock/framing beneath the stone. Thanks for all the help, Ken

Attachments

• fireplace 009.jpg
    fireplace 009.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 276
Yes, the insert manuel approves ZC install. I am concerned about the heat on the stone beneath the mantle.(under the surround) I may bend a heat shield behind the surround on top of the stone.

My reason for asking is this - if the ZC was installed according to spec, and the insert is approved for install in the ZC, then the combustibles behind the stone overlay should not come into play. When you look at clearance to combustibles (CTC), they refer to the items in front of the fireplace i.e. a protruding mantle. Items around the ZC are covered by the specs for it's install, just like combustibles around a brick fireplace are covered in the code for the fireplace install, not the manual for the stove.

Make sense?

Thats what I wanted to hear. Better safe than sorry. I'll start slow and monitor temps all around. I had an experianced chimney sweep in today to clean the existing liner. He thought all was well. Some things you can't be too careful with. Ken

CleanBurnin said:
My reason for asking is this - if the ZC was installed according to spec, and the insert is approved for install in the ZC, then the combustibles behind the stone overlay should not come into play. When you look at clearance to combustibles (CTC), they refer to the items in front of the fireplace i.e. a protruding mantle. Items around the ZC are covered by the specs for it's install, just like combustibles around a brick fireplace are covered in the code for the fireplace install, not the manual for the stove.

Make sense?
CleanBurnin has it exactly right for an insert in a ZC fireplace. I have actually fought a bad house fire with a non ZC rated insert installed in a ZC fireplace with stone glued on the front that looked much like yours. He had burned it that way for 2 years and the wood framing finally got charred and hot enough that it caught on fire. Saved the house and it was remodeled and now has a proper install. So what CleanBurnin is saying is very important. Take care and good luck. Be Safe, Steve

Chief, thank you for the info. this is my fear. when burning open fires in the ZC On occasion those stones have gotten pretty hot. The Clydesdale is approved for Zc installs, and this is one reason i chose this insert. I'm surprised the literature doesn't say anything specific about the area in question. The dealers, I think are more interested in sales. Then again I am my own best advocate. I wish I had found this site sooner. The people here have been very informative, perhaps all things considered I should have ripped out the ZC and started over. Downside potentail is off the chart. I am moving foward with great caution. Ken By the way I did awy with natural
christmas trees on the advise of fireman friends.

newtothis said:
Chief, thank you for the info. this is my fear. when burning open fires in the ZC On occasion those stones have gotten pretty hot. The Clydesdale is approved for Zc installs, and this is one reason i chose this insert. I'm surprised the literature doesn't say anything specific about the area in question. The dealers, I think are more interested in sales. Then again I am my own best advocate. I wish I had found this site sooner. The people here have been very informative, perhaps all things considered I should have ripped out the ZC and started over. Downside potentail is off the chart. I am moving foward with great caution. Ken By the way I did awy with natural
christmas trees on the advise of fireman friends.
Newtothis, I think you are on the right track. I am not that familiar with the inserts approved for ZC fireplaces, although I have looked at the specs and installation manuals for some of them. It looks to me like they take all zero clearnace fireplaces, including ones installed like yours into account. They appear to insulate the outside of the insert box from the ZC firebox they are going into. However, I would look very closely at the specs and installation manual and make sure that it specifically states the ZC condition that you have and that it is allowed. I have a 1974 ZC Majestic fireplace that I installed specifically with an entire brick front for exact reason and concern you have. I did not install it zero clearance as the manual allowed. I installed a Buck 26000 insert in it back in 1982 when they did not make inserts for ZC fireplaces. And the buck manual specifically stated "for masonry fireplaces only". However, I installed my fireplace with lots of overkill, and I know exactly what I have, and believe my experience in the fire department and code enforcement allowed me to evaluate it and know I was safe. I have no combustibles anywhere close to the prefab unit. I have burned the insert for 28 years and never had an issue. I do evaluate it continually, because I am the last person in the world who wants to have a fire! I think you are on the right track and can install an insert in what you have. Just be sure what you put in there is safe or don't do it.

I should be able to install this weekend. I'll post photos and evaluations. If I have to rip out the stone and re-install the piece of mind out ways the co$t.

newtothis said:
I should be able to install this weekend. I'll post photos and evaluations. If I have to rip out the stone and re-install the piece of mind out ways the co$t.
Good. Look forward to the pics. and thoughts.

Good luck, I think that's a nice looking setup, and would make a nice backdrop to that pretty stove if it works for you. But I know, safety first!

Status
Not open for further replies.