Insert decisions: Lopi Revere vs. Avalon Rainier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petersanz

Oct 24, 2010
Southern Oregon
Greetings All-
I'm new to the forum but found lots of helpful information on my first tour through the site. Nice work!

We plan to order a new wood insert this week and would really like any feedback on the two choices that we've got it narrowed down to: Avalon Rainier or Lopi Revere. These are the brands that our only local shop carries. One of my biggest considerations hanging us up is the size of the room/house we are looking to heat and the output of the stove. We live in a single story 1200 sq ft home. The main room with the fireplace is ~800 sq ft and an open configuration. The rest of the space is a short hallway with 3 bdrms and 1 bathroom. We have ceiling fans to push the heat around. Although we prefer the looks and bigger firebox of the Lopi our concern and reason we are leaning toward the Avalon is that we don't want to get 'overheated' with the larger stove. I should also say that our area has air quality issues in the winter so we want to keep the stove hot and burning efficiently with the least emissions possible. Our secondary concern is that the Lopi pooches out further on the fireplace hearth while the Avalon is a little more flush.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Best,
Peter

I would go with the revere, it is a little bigger firebox and yu can load north-south, which I find to be more convenient. I wouldn't worry about overheating your house, from the sounds of your house I don't think either of those stoves are so large where overheating would be an issue, although I would imagine either could make your place too warm if you let it. Getting long burn times will be easier with the lopi, which is a big plus. Both stove are quality units, I just think the larger firebox would make me choose the lopi.

I have an Endeavor which I believe is the free standing cousin of the Revere. It also has the 2.2 Cubic Foot firebox.

I am heating a 800 square foot cabin with it. Granted cabin insulation isn't the best but it works fine for my application. I can make it too hot if I want to but I can make smaller fires for more reasonable heat. I will definitely have capacity to spare when temps drop to the teens or the few near zero temps we sometimes get during the winter.

Here's a few more thoughts on the fear of overheating your house. Heat comes from the wood not the stove, so four pieces of wood will give you roughly the same heat in either stove. You can build the same size fire in the revere as you can in the rainier, but revere gives you that extra capacity which you will probably use more than you think. The other thing is You are probably going to realize that you will like your home warmer than you think. I hate being hot, I keep my ac at 68 degrees and in the summer 72 or 73 degrees feels to warm for me, but in the winter I love being able to keep my house at around 75. If your wife is anything like mine she will LOVE how warm you can keep the house! Having the house warm enough for the women to walk around in their undies all winter is a good thing in my book!

In southern OR I think you will be fine with the Avalon unless you are up in the mountains at a higher altitude. If that is your choice I think it will be fine. It's a good heater. If you are at higher altitude, then I could see going with the slightly larger Lopi, but the truth is either stove will do the job. Krex is right about the fuel being what determines the temp. Give the stove less fuel and it is going to put out less heat.

The responses to my posting were REALLY helpful and this morning I pulled the trigger and bought the Lopi Revere. One of my biggest concerns was overheating our space but the comments that it is the size of the fire NOT the size of the stove put my fears to rest. Also we live in Klamath Falls, Oregon at 4,000 ft so it will be good to have some extra heating capacity for those few nights when the temps really drop. Ultimately it also came down to the advice that you should keep your wife happy and she really preferred the overall looks of the Revere over the Avalon Rainier. No problem!

Will post some pics once we get the install finished.

Thanks again,
Peter

Nicely done Peter, best of luck with that stove, lopi makes an excellent product, you will get alot of enjoyment out of that stove. I don't know if blowers are standard with lopi stoves but I would definitely recommend getting a blower, they make a huge difference in getting heat out into your house. I hope you have Already been working on your woodpile.

petersanz said:
The responses to my posting were REALLY helpful and this morning I pulled the trigger and bought the Lopi Revere. One of my biggest concerns was overheating our space but the comments that it is the size of the fire NOT the size of the stove put my fears to rest. Also we live in Klamath Falls, Oregon at 4,000 ft so it will be good to have some extra heating capacity for those few nights when the temps really drop. Ultimately it also came down to the advice that you should keep your wife happy and she really preferred the overall looks of the Revere over the Avalon Rainier. No problem!

Will post some pics once we get the install finished.

Thanks again,
Peter

Good choice for the mountains. It's a great stove and a happy wife is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.