Insert door open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Is there any harm in letting the door of an insert open once the coals are down low.

It seems like if i rake the coals out evenly then let the door open I get a ton of heat into the room.
At this point there are no open flames just coals and I do this mainly on fires I have no intentions of re-lighting.

Any harm in doing this?

I wouldn't do this. The harm would be if an errant spark shot out of the stove when no one was looking. This can and does happen. Although it may feel like there is more radiant heat, actually you are cooling down the stove and letting much more of the warm room air get sucked right up the chimney. The coals will burn down quicker and you will get less actual room heat from them.

BeGreen said:
I wouldn't do this. The harm would be if an errant spark shot out of the stove when no one was looking. This can and does happen. Although it may feel like there is more radiant heat, actually you are cooling down the stove and letting much more of the warm room air get sucked right up the chimney. The coals will burn down quicker and you will get less actual room heat from them.

All I needed to know (as I walk over and shut that door). Thanks BeGreen.

yup, having that door open is bringing you back to your pre insert fireplace days, as you watch your heat flight right up your chimney. I bet everyone in the other rooms are complaining how cold its getting.

Aren't fast learners nice!

Would it be ok to leave the insert door open just long enough to toast a marshmallow? Or is that a bad idea too? :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.