Insert fans, on or off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
Ripley WV
Can I damage my insert by not running the fan when the insert is hot???

I do not think you can damage the insert unless you over fire it. I ran my insert with out the fan and the next time I ran it with the fans they were louder. I think the preloaded lubricant on the fan might have run out or something like that. The fan does have a low setting on mine so I can have it real slow.
Some inserts have the fan as an option so if you do not choose the option I would not think the insert would be damaged.

It hasn't been cold enough here to run the fan yet. In -40, I burn the stove as hot as it will go and when the power is out, there is no fan. I suppose it depends on the stove so YMMV.

I run mine with out the fan now that I have the thermometer. I can keep an eye on the temperature, and the truth is, if it's going to be really cold outside, that fans going to be running.

I't s going down to 38 °F or so tonight and I'm debating fan or no fan? That said, the fan is on now, moving the heat through the house ahead of time.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I't s going down to 38 °F or so tonight and I'm debating fan or no fan? That said, the fan is on now, moving the heat through the house ahead of time.
It's gone down to -6°C here (21°F) outside, and at 74°F inside the wife put on a blanket. I offered to turn on the blower but she declined so I had to throw on another log and turn on the ceiling fan in the hearth room to move some heat. At 75°F, she tossed off the blanket, I'm sweating, the ceiling fan is now off, and the coal bed is burning down. In a few minutes she's going make some comment that I'm letting the fire go out, and the cycle continues...

Last Winter when it got real cold we burned 24/7 and so I had to clean out hot ashes, invariably raising some dust in the house. I ended the last heating season burning Aspen/Poplar which is the absolute worst for fine fluffy ashes. The wife is now convinced that the blower was responsible for spreading the ashes around the house so thus far this year, use of the blower is banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.