Insert for 1100sqft Farmhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamPower

Oct 16, 2013
North Carolina
Hello to everyone,

I am new here and looking for suggestions on a wood fired insert for a 1100sqft farmhouse. The house was originally a cotton barn converted to a house in 1905 so it is somewhat set up for wood heat. Low ceilings and a vent in the middle of the house to allow heat to rise up from the 1st floor to the two second floor bedrooms.

My local Quad dealer turned me onto the Heatilator Eco-Choice WINS18...any comments on this insert? I have looked at Jotul but they are a little out of my price range.

I am open to suggestions. Please let me know what sqft you guys are heating and house lay out. Not too sure on how insulated the house is, since I have not spent a winter in it. The lower level stays cool in the summers though.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Hey SteamPower, welcome to the forum. I have an Osburn 2400i insert. It has a 3.2 cf firebox. I heat about 1700 sf on Long Island. We have been very happy with this unit. Our fireplace is centrally located and works out great for wood heat.

I don't know anything about the Heatilator Eco-Choice WINS18 specifically, but the rule of thumb is the best guide for which stove will work to heat your house is the firebox size. The WINS18 has a 2 cf firebox which is probably a really good size for your house. Make sure you install a chimney liner from the unit to the chimney top. Good luck with your new place!

There are lots of options here. The Heatilator is a cheap Quad. I would also look at their main product. You will do fine with a 2 cu ft insert, so I'd recommend taking a look at the Quadrafire 3100i too and compare details and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.