Insert for a fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I'm in the process of re building the exterior of a fireplace on a house in moving into shortly. I have added a picture and some measurements from a quick sketch I drew up. I plan on addind 5 rows of brick all the way across from this point up to where i build the mantle. you can see the fireplace slopes and angles in. I would like to run it as an open fireplace for this winter then find an insert during the summer for next year. The entire room is only 11x17 so i think a wood stove is out of the question. If there are any small enough ones to use I'm open to that bit don't want to extend the hearth out based on the size of the room. It is a ranch and there is a big opening into the dining living area. What are my options? I have done some research and see alot of square back inserts. I'd prefer to find something used with a glass screen for viewing. Thanks. 20180109_195958.jpg
20180109_201620.jpg

Can anyone ID this stove? I took a look at it. The owner thinks it's a lopi. Looks like it may fit. I just want to know more and look up all the specs on it. 20180112_184208.jpg 20180112_184154.jpg 20180112_184057.jpg 20180112_185207.jpg 20180112_184244.jpg

I think not a Lopi, too bad someone painted over the stove label.

Ya I was a little Un sure about the no label thing. The firebox has red fire brick that needs some re pointing. (Previous owner must've used the fireplace. It has some normal wear) I'm just re building the outside. It was painted brick and the roof had leaked so I some rot along the right side and decided to take it all down and go for the natural brick. Guess it seemed too good to be true. The guy was nice just didn't know much about the stove so I figured I'd research it before going any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found an englander 13 nci from the original owner back in 2009. Looking at the demensions it says I need a 26 inch width at a depth of 14 inches, but the stove is 25 3/4. My firebox tapers in and at the 14 inch depth the width is 25 3/4. Can I push the stove up against the brick or pull the insert out just enough to make it fit? I added a picture of the tag he sent me on the rear of the stove. Also what is a decent price for this stove used since 2009? received_10213757564626275.jpegreceived_10100930375916447.jpeg

Yes, it's possible , but double check measurements. Is the depth of the fireplace being measured at the top of the insert height or at the hearth floor level? The value is hard to tell, but maybe $400? The insert can be picked up new for about $900.

The height at depth of 14 is close to 25 so that shouldn't be a problem. How do I know where the flue comes up won't interfere with any brick and go straight up? I plan on putting a 6 inch double wall pipe that I currently have into the existing lined chimney. If I need to I could add a flex piece for that part? What should I measure to make sure?

The height at depth of 14 is close to 25 so that shouldn't be a problem. How do I know where the flue comes up won't interfere with any brick and go straight up? I plan on putting a 6 inch double wall pipe that I currently have into the existing lined chimney. If I need to I could add a flex piece for that part? What should I measure to make sure?
Double wall stovepipe is not to be used as a chimney liner if that's what you're talking about.